Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
erth111
Influencer
Liked: 3 times

Virtual Lab and VMware distributed switch quiestion

Post by erth111 »

Hi all,
I have an environment with ~30 ESXi hosts with only one distributed switch across all hosts. I want to create Virtual Lab in such environment. My quiestion is: Do I have to create vLab in "Advanced Multi-Host" mode or can I use single host configuration with standard vSwitch? All VMs are connected to dvSwitch.

If I have a one Virtual Lab in Advanced Multi-Host configuration and dvSwitch, is it possible to start a Sure Backup job on a different host than the Virtual Lab itself? As far as I understand I have to point SureBackup job to a specific Virtual Lab, on a specific host, but DRS can move my VMs do different hosts - am I right?

Thanks
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Virtual Lab and VMware distributed switch quiestion

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Tomasz,

1. Difference between simple and advanced mode is that in the first one we will try to automatically detect source network settings and map them to the isolated new network. So if simple mode does not work for some reason, you can proceed with advanced mode and configure all the settings manually.
2. I think you can do whatever you want with the VMs once they are published in the inventory. I would recommend using a dedicated host with spare resources for SureBackup job VMs verification.

Thanks!