Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
howartp
Enthusiast
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Peter Howarth

Virtual Lab on vCenter hosts

Post by howartp »

Hi.

I'm just playing with Virtual Lab and SureBackup for the first time.

I have recently bought a Dell VRTX server with four hosts in it. Three are connected to a vCenter (vSphere Standard) and one is standalone.

I've setup the standalone ok as a single host Virtual Lab, which is fine for SureBackup testing, but I was hoping to use the other three hosts within their shared vCenter environment as a larger Virtual Lab for Disaster Recovery (ie Instant Recovery). I can see the option for Basic and Advanced Single-Host labs, and I can see the disabled Advanced Multi-Host option as we don't have Enterprise Plus and DVS.

Is it possible to "Instant Recover" several VMs to a shared vCenter (or to the three hosts within it), to use the RAM/CPU of the three hosts, rather than trying to restore everything to one host?

We don't have Enterprise Plus and therefore DVS, but our environment supports VMotion (not storage vmotion) and network traffic between hosts, and all three VRTX hosts access one shared datastore.

Peter
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: Virtual Lab on vCenter hosts

Post by PTide »

Hi,

Every time you want to perform an instant recovery you need to specify host where you want your VM to be recovered to, you cannot specify a cluster or vCenter as a destination. What's your use case? Have you considered using replication + failover plan? You can choose a cluster as a destination for replica.

Thank you.