Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
RaboRemco
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Remco Post

VM selection for job - select all VMs in a single cluster with a specific tag

Post by RaboRemco »

Hi all,

we're running quite a large environment with tens of VMware clusters and hundreds of VMs per cluster. To keep things manageable we have opted to create a single backup job per cluster. This works most of the time, but I'm sort of running into a small issue. Some of our clusters have a mixed workload, where some VMs have been excluded based on a VMware tag. This are MS SQL servers that we want to backup application aware. Now, to keep things manageable, we prefer to not create loads of tags, so I'd like to create a backup job for "all VMs with tag X that are hosted on cluster Y". I've not found a way to do this. So my question is, how can we achieve this?
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: VM selection for job - select all VMs in a single cluster with a specific tag

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
one way is to create one tag per cluster. You cannot combine "tag + cluster" in the UI

As I mentioned UI before: I have also seen customers running powershell scripts to solve complex tag configurations and adding the VMs with powershell to the Veeam jobs.

does that help?

Best regards,
Hannes
RaboRemco
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Remco Post

Re: VM selection for job - select all VMs in a single cluster with a specific tag

Post by RaboRemco »

One tag per job is a bit of an unmanageable solution. Maybe we should create powershell scripts to solve the complex job scheduling issues. I think an advanced VM selection option in the job configuration tool would be a great enterprise enhancement.