Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
abdulkaderanwar
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Abdulkader Anwar

VM Snapshot - Clarification

Post by abdulkaderanwar »

Hi there,

I would like to know, if the vm size is 40gb and if am backing up at vm level what is the free space required for VBR to create snapshot and backup the vm.

Appreciate your response. So that i can plan or free up required space for the proper backup.

thanks again :)

tropical regards,
anwar
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1408 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Re: VM Snapshot - Clarification

Post by Andreas Neufert » 1 person likes this post

There is a default setting in the Veeam properties. By default 10% of the datastore warning. After 5% we stop processing.
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... l?ver=95u4
You can tweak it.

In theory you need free space for all changes that happens during the backup. If nobody write something in the VM (including OS) it do not consume space. If an application changes 10% during backup then you need in your case 4GB.
abdulkaderanwar
Novice

Hi Andreas,

Thanks.

Just to make clear, for the first if i take the vm full backup, does it requires the same as the space as the vm size or not required.

Later stages if i am not wrong, it will take the full backup using the previous backup chains and the new changes only it will create the snapshot to complete the full backup right?

Please clarify.

tropical regards,
anwar
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

Just to make clear, for the first if i take the vm full backup, does it requires the same as the space as the vm size or not required.
Typically the size of the full backup is not larger than half of the amount of space the VM consumes (due to compression).
Later stages if i am not wrong, it will take the full backup using the previous backup chains and the new changes only it will create the snapshot to complete the full backup right?
It depends on the backup method you select in the job settings.
abdulkaderanwar
Novice

Hi Fogelson & Andreas,

Thanks for the clarification.

tropical regards,
anwar
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1408 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Post by Andreas Neufert »

My understanding is that you have asked for the space on the datastore for backup. If you perform a full backup you potentially need a bit more space as the incremental processing as it takes longer. But overall the space that you need on your datastore is just for the changes that someone initiate within the VM. If you have a shutdown VM then an incremental and full backup do not need any real extra space on the datastore.