Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
chriskarako
Novice
Liked: never

vm storage vmotion and veeam backup size

Post by chriskarako »

Hello all,
I have the following question: if i storage vmotion a virtual machine, what happens with the next backup job ,will be an incremental one meaning that backup size is not an issue, or it will be a full backup with the size of this job as the first one full backup in the chain ?
Thanks a lot
RomanK
Veeam Software
Liked: 168 times

Re: vm storage vmotion and veeam backup size

Post by RomanK »

Hello chriskarako,

As far as I know during the migration between hosts, VM MoRef is changed and the VM is threaded like a new one with full VM next run.
When you do the storage VMotion an increment is expected next run because MoRef ID should be unique within a vCenter

Thanks
d.artzen
Enthusiast
Liked: 28 times
Full Name: Daniel Artzen

Post by d.artzen » 1 person likes this post

I think it depends how the Veeam is connected to the VMWare Infrastructure. If it is connected to the vCenter and you do a vMotion through the vCenter (Storage or Computing Resources) the ID should not change and the next backup would be an incremental one. At least it behaves that way in our environment. It should only be a problem if you have the connection from Veeam to the Esxi Hosts instead of the vCenter
chriskarako
Novice
Liked: never

Post by chriskarako »

I think d.artzen is right. Also checked the scenario, with a vm moving around into the same vcenter infrastructure, and the veeam job works as expected.