VMware vSphere 6.0 support

VMware specific discussions

Re: VMware vSphere 6.0 support

Veeam Logoby mxx » Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:16 pm

For someone like me, who doesn't have access to any fancy vmware features as it's only vsphere essentials, the only interesting part of VSphere 6 is the new VCA with the hopefully improved performance and GUI of the web client.
I really HATE that webclient and I use the c# client as much as possible. I guess I'm not alone with this :D

Someone mentioned that the main issue regarding interoperability with VCenter Server v6 was that it no longer supports sslv3 which the vddk used by Veeam needs.
As I wouldn't upgrade the hosts just yet, only the VCenter Server, is there a chance for a workaround?
Enabling sslv3 (if that's possible) in VCenter Server 6 (while staying on esxi 5.5)?

Or something else. Is it possible to upgrade the VDDK Veeam uses to the latest 5.5 version?
"This issue is resolved in the VDDK 5.5.4 release by enabling support for and requesting Transport Layer Security version 1 (TLSv1)".

Thank you!
mxx
Enthusiast

Liked: 2 times

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:18 pm 1 person likes this post

SSLv3 is not the only issue anyway.

But no, it is not possible to simply replace VDDK modules, because there are some tie ups between our code and VDDK modules on binary level, allowing us to handle certain VDDK issues and limitations transparently for enhanced reliability. Just replacing the modules to different ones will cause unpredictable results, and more importantly will render your deployment unsupported by Veeam.

Besides, consider if it is even a good idea to jump a major release of any software just a few days after it has been released. It is always a better idea to let someone else run into the initial wave of bugs. Most companies have the "SP1 rule" for any new releases, and I am totally with them on this.
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2350 times

Veeam Logoby mxx » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:30 pm

Yes, that's why I won't update the hosts just yet. VCenter Server I only need for Veeam and rarely for VUM so I would have risked it. But now that's out of the question obviously.
Thanks Gostev for clearing that up and thanks for answering all those annoying questions ;)
mxx
Enthusiast

Liked: 2 times

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:59 pm 1 person likes this post

No problems at all, I've been doing this every year for the past 8 years ;)

By the way, the official blog post is now live > VMware vSphere 6 support coming soon
Should be helpful in case you need to send someone the summary of this topic.
Gostev
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby DaveBristolIT » Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:52 pm 1 person likes this post

I might have been a bit over-enthusiastic and also upgraded my onsite vCentre to 6.0

I upgraded two hosts, one which runs the Veeam backup VM (only) and one that doesn't currently run any VMs.

The rest are still on 5.5U2.

Luckily, somehow, all of my Veeam backup and replication jobs are still working.

Not saying go ahead and upgrade Vcentre... but in our case, we got lucky :)
DaveBristolIT
Influencer

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Dave Hamer

Veeam Logoby Hydargos » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:16 am

DaveBristolIT wrote:Not saying go ahead and upgrade Vcentre... but in our case, we got lucky :)

Helo,

Did you try to restore a VM ? I updated my vcenter and my backup jobs works fine. It just fail to restore vms.
Hydargos
Lurker

Liked: never
Full Name: Mike

Veeam Logoby dellock6 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:16 am 4 people like this post

"just".... :)
The final goal of any backup is the restore, so please please be careful in updating your environments to unsupported versions of any hypervisor...
Luca Dell'Oca
EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
http://www.virtualtothecore.com
vExpert 2011-2012-2013-2014-2015-2016
Veeam VMCE #1
dellock6
Veeam Software

Liked: 1335 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Veeam Logoby DaveBristolIT » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:36 am

Hydargos wrote:
DaveBristolIT wrote:Not saying go ahead and upgrade Vcentre... but in our case, we got lucky :)

Helo,

Did you try to restore a VM ? I updated my vcenter and my backup jobs works fine. It just fail to restore vms.

I haven't yet, but after seeing this, I probably should try!

FYI: My Offsite Veeam that connects into this local vCentre started failing with bad username/password. I rescanned the host under backup infrastructure and everything was detected fine, and have now retried the job and it appears to be running correctly.
DaveBristolIT
Influencer

Veeam Logoby DaveBristolIT » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:03 am

All good on the restore:
DaveBristolIT
Influencer

Veeam Logoby Marc.H » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:04 pm

seb1410 wrote:Like everyone I might have been a bit too enthusiastic. Upgraded my vcenter and some of my hosts to the last release and so far everything worked fine until I noticed that the backups were taking unusually way longer.
In the Veeam 8 action screen I see for all vm’s I am backing up “xx/xx/xxxx xx:xx:xx :: CBT data is invalid, failing over to legacy incremental backup. No action is required, next job run should start using CBT again. If CBT data remains invalid, follow KB1113 to perform CBT reset. Usual cause is power loss.” Resulting in full pass for all vm’s.
Tried resetting the cbt as per the kb but doesn’t seem to help.
Is this a known issue with vsphere 6 that should keep away people from upgrading ? Of course the hosts that haven't been upgraded are still backed up at the same speed.

Tkx for any input

I have exactly the same behavior. Backup runs fine, but always failing over to legacy - no CBT support at the moment,.

Regards
Marc
Marc.H
Enthusiast

Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Marc Holbe

Veeam Logoby nubishosting » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:52 pm

Greetings,

I recently upgraded to vCenter v6.0 in a production environment, and I have one IBM host running ESXi v6.0, and Veeam is working GREAT, as usual !! I did a guest O/S file restore, no problem. So I will be upgrading the other hosts (currently running 5.x) in the next couple of weeks.

-Kevin C.
nubishosting
Lurker

Full Name: Kevin C.

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:41 am

Hi, Kevin. Before proceeding with the upgrade, please also consider that upgrading to vSphere 6 at this time will render your B&R deployment unsupported by Veeam Customer Support. In other words, you will be on your own in case of any backup or restore issues. Thanks!
Gostev
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby nubishosting » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:48 pm

Hi Gostev,

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. Given this, I will NOT upgrade other hosts to 6.0 until Veeam is officially supporting it. As long as Veeam Tech Support will support me using vCenter 6.0 with ESXi 5.x hosts, we are good for now.

-Kevin C.
nubishosting
Lurker

Full Name: Kevin C.

Veeam Logoby marco.horstmann » Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:01 am

At the moment we are NOT supporting vSphere 6.0. This includes ESXi 6.0 and vCenter 6.0.

As mentioned from Gostev you need to wait for Update 2 to get a supported solution. Please always take a look in our system requirements.
Marco Horstmann
System Engineer @ Veeam Software

@marcohorstmann
https://horstmann.in
VMware VCP
NetApp NCIE-SAN for 7-Mode and Clustered Ontap
marco.horstmann
Veeam Software

Liked: 41 times
Full Name: Marco Horstmann

Veeam Logoby jamerson » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:37 am

unfortunately had to update today one of my customers to ESXI 6.0 because of bug and Vmware advised to update it.
in the mean while the back up stops working of course. hopefully we will get the update 2 soon.
jamerson
Expert

Liked: 16 times
Full Name: Julien

PreviousNext

Return to VMware vSphere