VMware snapshot and Storage Array Snapshot ?

VMware specific discussions

VMware snapshot and Storage Array Snapshot ?

Veeam Logoby albertwt » Fri May 19, 2017 3:27 pm

Hi All,

What are the difference and the Pros/Cons of using VMware Snapshot vs. Storage Array Snapshot in Veeam backup ?

So far I've been facing some difficult situation (24x7 SQL server VM outage for 3.5 hrs+) where failed Veeam backup has caused large VMware snapshot to be closed or committed even after hours.
The root cause is Veeam Backup repository does not have enough disk space but then the Veeam backup still continue to do so followed by the major outage when committing the VMware snapshot.

Another case also happened when, my VCenter VM was offline due to some problem with the Storage hardware, which caused one of the important large VMDK from one important VM still hanging off the Veeam Backup Proxy VM, causing another long VMware snapshot manual commit, followed by the failure of the disk consolidation process which is again has caused very long hours again hitting the other important VM.

Now, my management team has lost its trust in using Veeam to backup very large VM like File Server, SQL Server, SharePoint server and Exchange Server with the size larger than 3 TB and above.

How does the Veeam Enterprise Plus with Storage Array Snapshot can be safer than this high risk VMware snapshot ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
--
/* Veeam software enthusiast user & supporter ! */
albertwt
Expert

Liked: 20 times

Re: VMware snapshot and Storage Array Snapshot ?

Veeam Logoby foggy » Fri May 19, 2017 4:04 pm

Backup from storage snapshots significantly reduces the impact of VMware snapshot removal.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1131 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Return to VMware vSphere