Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
tom11011
Expert
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Tom

vPower causing cluster error and datastore inaccessible error

Post by tom11011 »

Recently upgraded vmware vcenter to version 7U3 and now as the title says I have a few errors showing in vcenter. I am pretty sure this is related to Veeam Vpower NFS server on the windows server, but don't know what to do about it.

The vmware cluster is complaining with the amber triangle

Code: Select all

vCLS-98b596cf-d0d2-4cac-a45d-f39bf856e762: vSphere HA virtual machine failover failed

vSphere HA failover operation in progress in cluster Cluster1 in datacenter XXXXXX: 0 VMs being restarted, 1 VMs waiting for a retry, 0 VMs waiting for resources, 0 inaccessible vSAN VMs
And in vcenter datastores, vmware is complaining it cannot read the datastore.

Thanks
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: vPower causing cluster error and datastore inaccessible error

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
a vPower NFS datastore is an NFS datastore like any other NFS datastore. If VMware tries to place a VM on an inaccessible datastore, that sounds strange.

What does VMware say about that topic (VMware case number)?

I would also assume, that the "allowed datastores" are configurable in VMware (I did not search for that).

Best regards,
Hannes
tom11011
Expert

Post by tom11011 »

I view this more as a Veeam issue, would the problem go away if vmware had access to veeams nfs virtual machine? The vpower nfs virtual machine and data store has always been there, vcenter 7 now just has the ability to see it.
tom11011
Expert

Post by tom11011 » 1 person likes this post

Case #05129744
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM »

Hi Tom,

I wouldn't say that this is a Veeam issue as long as the error itself comes from vSphere, for example a similar problem had been discussed in this topic. Anyway, let's wait for what our support team can find out.

Thanks!
Regnor
VeeaMVP
Liked: 291 times
Full Name: Max

Post by Regnor »

It can randomly happen that vCenter places a vCLS VM on the Veeam NFS datastore. If the NFS datastore gets disconnected, the vCLS VM gets orphaned. In that case you can just remove it from your inventory.
In the Cluster configuration in vCenter under vSphere Cluster Services you could configure the datastores which are allowed for the vCLS placement.

The datastore itself can connect and disconnect at any time, depending on what you do with Veeam or if you reboot some components; so this is not directly an error from Veeam.