Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
hongman
Influencer
Liked: never

vPower questions

Post by hongman »

Hi

Done a search but couldn't find anything.

As I understand it, vPower allows you to boot up a VM directly from a backup file, which is great.

However, what happens with changes?

I.E Exchange Server crashes for whatever reason, and you use vPower to bring up the Exchange backup from the previous night.

What happens next?

Do you move the vPower VM into production, but lose everything between the previous backup and then the production VM went down?
Or do you shutdown the vPower VM, and try to fix production? What happens to the changes made when the vPower VM was serving?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: vPower questions

Post by foggy »

If you are talking about Instant Recovery, then you need to finalize it by migrating the recovered VM into production (either using sVmotion or Veeam B&R Quick Migration feature). This will migrate the instantly recovered VM in its entirety from vPower NFS datastore to your production datastore. If you are running version 6.1, you can just right-click the published VM and select Migrate to production. This option will work whether or not you have Storage VMotion licensed.
hongman
Influencer
Liked: never

Post by hongman »

Thanks.

So if say the Exchange server went down in the afternoon and I used the Instant Recovery to get users back on via the previous night's backup. In the evening I would migrate it back into Production.

However this method still means we could lose a morning's worth of data.

Are there any other technologies which could help in this situation? Something like CDP?
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1932 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 » 1 person likes this post

Veeam supports "near-CDP", it's not exactly CDP but it allows for really frequent backups, basically as soon as the previous backup finishes, a new one is started, without any pause. On an exchange server with high IO though snapshot commit can take some time, so a single cycle can last several minutes.

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1