Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
fluxblocker
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Samuel L Sanders Jr

vSphere Web Client plug-in

Post by fluxblocker »

I have a question about one of the instructions in the article from https://www.veeam.com/kb1849, How to reinstall vSphere Web Client plug-in for Veeam Backup & Replication.

I have completed all the steps up to Number 6, which is:

Ensure no plug-in components remain on the vCenter server:

In case of vCenter Server Appliance, open an SSH session to vCenter Server Appliance and remove all entries that are returned by the find / -name '*veeam*' command.

(note: we do have vCenter Server Appliance.)

I have successfully searched and found 7 entries by using the find / -name '*veeam*' command. However, the part I am unclear on is, what exactly is meant by "remove all entries". Does this simply mean to delete these files, or are there configuration entries that need to be removed from configuration files? "Remove all entries" sounds more involved than simply deleting files. I'm a complete novice with Linux, and I believe configuration entries are stored in text files, but I have no idea what text files I would find these entries in, or if that is a even a correct assumption to begin with. Could someone please clarify if this means to remove configuration entries, and if so, how to remove them, or from where would one remove them? Or does it simply mean to delete these files. Many thanks and much appreciation!
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: vSphere Web Client plug-in

Post by Mildur »

Hi Samuel

Yes, all Veeam related files should be deleted in step 6. That how I understand it too.

The config files you are worrying about are already cleaned up with step 3 + 4. After the service restart in step 5, vcenter doesn‘t know about the plugin anymore. You can safely remove the Files as noted in step 6. They are leftovers from the installation.

This makes it possible for veeam, to do a clean install of the plugin with new deployed files.
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software