Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
mplep
Service Provider
Liked: never

VSS Query for isolated VM

Post by mplep »

Hi,

We backup some VM's which are no longer accessible at a Guest level to Veeam any longer. We did use VSS in the Job upon the Exchange server but that now fails as it can't connect to the guest directly. These guests reside on an isolated "VM Network" now. Veeam can back them up still as the Host is still fully accessible, it's just the VSS that fails.

Establishing comms between Veeam and the Exchange guest isn't possible. Do we have any options for using VSS within Veeam now? We just want to ensure the Exchange Logs are merged at each backup. I could setup an Exchange backup within the Exchange VM and back it up locally, but it's more overhead.

I noticed in thread http://forums.veeam.com/post58420.html? ... rts#p58420 that Gostev said "Connection over the network is attempted first (via RPC), and if it fails then guest interaction API is used (injected into guest via ESXi host and VMware Tools)"

Any help and suggestions appreciated.

MPLEP
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: VSS Query for isolated VM

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi,

Yes, that's correct. If direct connection to the backed up VMs is not available, then Veeam backup fails over to VIX API (VMware Tools) to prepare all applications for hot backup. This should happen automatically, and your job should not fail due to absence of network connection to the VMs.

P.S. you can use this reg key to force your backup jobs to use VIX API method of connection to the VMs.

Thanks!
mplep
Service Provider

Post by mplep »

Hi Vitaly,

Thanks for the reply. It didn't happen automatically so I will investigate the REG key and post the result.

Regards

MPLEP
mplep
Service Provider

Post by mplep »

Hi Vitaliy,

Sorry, another question on this. That key would change the behavior for all jobs. I'm the cautious type and don't want to make changes that could might cause problems on other jobs. I assume if the current job isn't switching from Direct to VIX that something is wrong. Log a call with Support?

Thanks

MPLEP
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, that key would change the default behavior for all jobs. I'm not aware about any issues with automatic switch engine, so it must be something else... Logging a support case will be a good idea.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Please note that either disabling UAC or using Domain Administrator account is required to perform application-aware image processing work over VIX. Also, VMware Tools have to be up-to-date.