Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
rfn
Expert
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: René Frej Nielsen

Windows Failover Cluster on VVols - backup warning after failover

Post by rfn »

Hi,

I have created a Windows Failover Cluster with 2 nodes to host a SQL Server. For now it's just an experiment.

We're running vSphere 6.7 so I have created it with VVols on our Nimble storage system and I have tried doing failovers and vMotion of the VM's and everything seems to work. I'm backing it up with Veeam Agent and that also seems to work, even log shipping. Yesterday I failed over the roles to the other node and when the backup ran this night, then I got a warning from the backup job:

Changed block tracking map was changed for volume \\?\Volume{f23d21c6-0627-4739-9c67-10082f5aa440}: current map 0f1c4854-a396-11eb-80d7-0050568c0274, previous map 71887c95-9e90-11eb-80cf-0050568cafc2

There was a warning for each of the volumes that was failed over to the other node. It's probably expected, but I would just like to check. Does anyone know if this is expected behaviour? I just ran a backup manually and there were no errors this time.

/René
Natalia Lupacheva
Veteran
Liked: 302 times
Full Name: Natalia Lupacheva

Re: Windows Failover Cluster on VVols - backup warning after failover

Post by Natalia Lupacheva »

Hi René,

Please take a look at this thread just to make sure it's not your case.
If it's not - may I ask you to share your Support case ID?

Also, please clarify which Agent and B&R versions you use.

Thanks!
rfn
Expert
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: René Frej Nielsen

Re: Windows Failover Cluster on VVols - backup warning after failover

Post by rfn » 1 person likes this post

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply... I don't think the thread is related. I haven't created a support case for this yet, and I don't think that it's nescessary.

The error was from our old Veeam 9.5u4 server that is still in use, but I have now recreated the job on our new Veeam 11 server that we're migrating all jobs to. I don't get the error on that server, and I have tried to fail over roles multiple times and then run a backup, and it worked every time.

/René