Feedback and Feature Requests

Business categorization for your virtual environment

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:23 pm

Please let us know your opinion about the product, and what features would you like to see in the future versions of this product...

While Veeam Business View is already quite useful, we perfectly realize that it is very much "1.0" release in terms of features. Actually, one of the reasons for making this product free was so that we could start gathering larger amounts of feedback and understand what is really needed.

Please pay us back with your feedback :wink:
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2349 times

Veeam Logoby mhanbury » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:55 am

Hi,

Very useful free tool Thank You!

Any chance we can get the Guest OS Field listed on the output report?
mhanbury
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: Matthew Hanbury

Re: Feedback and Feature Requests

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:49 am

Hello, this should be easy to add. Thank you for your feedback!
Gostev
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby jgremillion » Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:52 pm

I like this tool and find it useful. I would like to recommended an enhancement to the rules. I would be nice if there was a rule to search for "does not contain."

Thanks.
jgremillion
Enthusiast

Full Name: Joe Gremillion

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:03 pm

Feedback on automated matching rules is most appreciated. :D

Frankly, we have ran out of ideas (and time) on rules - so we released 1.0 with just a few of them - really hoping that we will be able to get more feedback on what is really needed, a soon as people will actually start using the product.
Gostev
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby mhanbury » Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:12 pm

Rules to filter on the following would be a really good start:

1. Guest OS Type.
2. Datastore.
3. Resource Pool.
4. VM State.
mhanbury
Novice

Full Name: Matthew Hanbury

Veeam Logoby jgremillion » Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:45 pm

I agree. Being able to filter on Guest OS Type, Datastore , Resource pool and VM state is good. I would also add folders (especially folders in VMs and Templates view).

Keep up the good work! I can't wait to see the next iteration.
jgremillion
Enthusiast

Full Name: Joe Gremillion

Veeam Logoby simmetje » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:48 am

Hi, we offer our internal customers 3 types of storage; gold, silver and bronze. The name of the storagetype is included in the lun name on the ESX servers. A sample of a lun name is: SAN_BRONZE_05. Every type of storage has a different price as the underlaying storage is replicated, raid1, raid5 etc.

What I need in the BV product is a way of reporting type of storage per vm and per departement. So in the dashboard view where I now have the labels "Name / VM / vCPU / Memory,GB / Storage,GB" I would like some customization as Bronze Storage, Silver Storage etc. I can imagine that is a bit difficult as the labels are now preconfigured. I would be very happy if the workspace view would have the possibility to fill 3 colums with a rule to add Bronze Storage, Silver Storage etc. counters. I'm not really interested in the datastore name, but more if the datastore contains the words gold, silver or bronze.
simmetje
Lurker

Full Name: Rob van der Helm

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:47 pm

Rob, please help me understand why you cannot do the following: create new category "Storage Type" with the following groups: "Gold", "Silver" and "Bronze", and classify all customers' with this category. This way you will be able to filter and build reports based on storage type with the current version.
Gostev
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby simmetje » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:55 pm

Gostev wrote:Rob, please help me understand why you cannot do the following: create new category "Storage Type" with the following groups: "Gold", "Silver" and "Bronze", and classify all customers' with this category. This way you will be able to filter and build reports based on storage type with the current version.

You're right with that. But that would be a manual action to perform. If a user would change from bronze to silver storage, the description (custom attribute) would have to be changed manually. I real life some administrator would forget the change and the customer will be billed wrong.

If I could make a query/rule for the storage lun name to contain bronze, silver or gold, it would be an automatic action.
simmetje
Lurker

Full Name: Rob van der Helm

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:32 pm

Ah, I understand your scenario now. Thanks for clarification. Yes, we already have datastore-based rules in our plans for the next release.
Gostev
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby tjestr » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:07 am

It would be great if you can rule by custom attributes.
Another thing are the graphs. If you have more than 5 items, the graphs are cut at the right edge. (Instead of uncategorized there is sth. like "unka")
We use up to 12 items in graphs so it would be really great to see some improvement there.

Additionally the attributes VM, vCPU, Memory and Storage should be summed up in the graph's chart.
tjestr
Enthusiast

Full Name: Falko Dohse

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:17 am

Falko, can you please upload the screenshot with graphs cut at the right edge so that I can better understand the issue? We are working on the update release right now, so we should be able to implement some of this feedback.
Gostev
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby tjestr » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:42 am

tjestr
Enthusiast

Full Name: Falko Dohse

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:40 am

Falko, thanks for the screenshot. Second one seems to have simple resolution, we should probaby rename Uncategorized to N/A. Current name for this label is just too long.

Not sure about good solution for first one though, there could be just too many groups indeed... say, 25. And they will never be able to fit in the screen. Should we limit the displayed groups to say top 7, show all other as Other (summarized), plus show uncategorized separately of course?
Gostev
Veeam Software

Next

Return to Business View