Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
sarnold
Influencer
Liked: 2 times

How can I change the ConfigStoreRootPath in a Hyper-V Failover Cluster?

Post by sarnold »

We have an existing Windows Server 2019 Failover Cluster with 3 nodes and a SAN. The SAN is getting quite old (6 years in production) and we're preparing to replace it with an all flash SAN. We'll add the SAN as a new iSCSI disk, then add this disk as a new Cluster Shared Volume (CSV). Once everything has moved off the old SAN CSV to the new SAN CSV, we'll remove the previous SAN from the Cluster (remove the old CSV) and remove the old SAN iSCSI connections from the host. We're then going to evict one node at a time and add in a new Windows Server 2022 server (since we can have OSs one major release apart in the same cluster) and once all 3 are replaced, we'll be fully upgraded with no downtime.

However...one massive potential problem I'm now reading about is with the ConfigStoreRootPath. We had previously set this years ago so that Veeam can perform backups. It's been working ever since. However, the path for this is on the current SAN. This seems like a massive problem because apparently the ConfigStoreRootPath cannot be changed once it's set.

If I'm understanding this correctly, is my only option to migrate all of the VM storage over to the new flash SAN, and have this massive 20ish TB old rotational disk SAN just sitting in the rack for 128KB of meta data that can't be moved? There HAS to be a better way...please tell me someone's moved this before successfully without entirely rebuilding their cluster...