Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
Markus M.
Enthusiast
Liked: 18 times

Hyper-V: Veeam Replication vs. Hyper-V Replication

Post by Markus M. »

Let me try to explain in few words what I am going to achieve:
The workload I am talking about is a virtualized (Windows) file server running on a Windows cluster with 2 nodes, replicating the VM to the 2nd node into another CSV.
Why? Because the cluster has a stretched layout over 2 DC and the two CSV's are provided by separate (entry-level) storage arrays w/o synchronous replication.
The arrays used are able to replicate at array level asynchronous, but I am in doubt that this is a reliable way for production use due too many layers (replication - CSV - vhdx - filesystem)
From my work experience I had some bad situation when it comes to a failover between arrays (in that case even with a synchronous replicated volume on a different type of array, it ended up in a corrupt vhdx)

So I am thinking where the pros and cons are about when running a VM-replication over Veeam vs. Hyper-V Manager instead.
Most pros and cons have been already discussed in an older article: microsoft-hyper-v-f25/use-cases-benefit ... 57015.html
While reading that post, another user stated MS storage replica would be another option possible in this scenario.

The shortest RPO time is not the main reason to decide here, but having a application consistent and truly available restore point in case of trouble would be my hit.
Appreciate any thoughts on this.

Thanks,
Markus
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Hyper-V: Veeam Replication vs. Hyper-V Replication

Post by HannesK » 2 people like this post

Hello,
Windows storage replica is same like storage array based replication: block-based without any knowledge about the data. That rules out "application consistent".

Same for Hyper-V replication. EDIT: There is no application consistency with the default replication (seconds / minutes). For additional restore points, VSS can be used.

So the only thing that meets your requirement is Veeam Replication :-)

Best regards,
Hannes
Markus M.
Enthusiast
Liked: 18 times

Post by Markus M. »

Thank you for clarification, Hannes!
That proves my perception, one more pro using Veeam is the decent notification of the replication jobs with the built in Logs.

Thanks,
Markus
Aymeric
Lurker
Liked: never

Post by Aymeric »

One Pro for Hyper-V native replication that just saved us a few thousands dollars :

Hyper-V replication works to an older version of Hyper-V Server. Not Veeam.

(in my case WS2019 to WS2012R2 server that can't be upgraded)

Aymeric
AlexHeylin
Veeam Legend
Liked: 173 times
Full Name: Alex Heylin

Post by AlexHeylin » 1 person likes this post

HannesK wrote: Mar 28, 2022 3:37 pm Same for Hyper-V replication. There is no application consistency.
I disagree because in this case there would be application consistency. Provided all applications running on Windows VM are VSS aware and follow VSS when requested, there's no difference in application consistency between VBR replication and Hyper-V replication provided the HV replication is done using host OS that supports taking and replicating VSS snapshots. A Windows file server doesn't really require application consistency, and the built in VSS providers do everything required to achieve it in most circumstances. There's a specific File Server VSS Agent Service that can be installed (part of File and Storage Services), but I've never seen anyone need to use it, or get burned because they didn't use install it.

VSS snapshots is how backup and replication jobs achieve application consistency in VBR also. Where there really IS a difference is if VSS isn't supported. For example a MySQL database on Windows server. MySQL does not support VSS so the only real way to ensure application consistency for MySQL on Windows is to stop the DB before the snapshot (so MySQL writes everything to disk) then start it up after the snapshot. That's not something Hyper-V replication can do. VBR can do this using pre & post job scripts. This is normally used for backup outside business hours, but could also be used for replication outside business hours. Hyper-V won't create a VSS snapshot more often than once per hour. VBR will, but given VBR's longer job run time (due to synchronous design vs HV's asynchronous design) if it's practical to do that will depend on many factors including hardware throughput.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK » 1 person likes this post

I'm curious how to create VSS snapshots every 30 seconds. But good point, I just learned that it's possible to create additional recovery points with VSS. I added that to my answer above.
doesn't really require application consistency,
while I agree with you, the thread author wants it :-)