Discussions specific to the Nutanix AHV hypervisor
Didi7
Expert
Liked: 41 times

Disk-Backups still visible in Proxy Appliance ...

Post by Didi7 »

Hi,

I continue to evaluate the Nutanix AHV Plug-in with B2D-jobs. One AHV VM was backed-up to the VBR-server. Since that backup finished, I could see 1 snapshot for that VM and 1 backup for that VM. I removed the disk-backup on the VBR-server, I removed the snapshot with the help of the Proxy Appliance, but unfortunately the disk-backup is still visible in the Proxy Appliance and of course it cannot be restored, because it's no longer available.

This disk-backup is visible under Protected VMs/Job name/B2D_TSTSRV/TSTSRV/Backup.

Rebooting the VBR-server and rebooting the Proxy Appliance is without any effect.

Strange.
Using the most recent Veeam B&R in 23 different environments now and counting!

Didi7
Expert

Re: Disk-Backups still visible in Proxy Appliance ...

Post by Didi7 »

I created another B2D-job within the Proxy Appliance, which successfully finished. Another snapshot and another backup is visible under ...

Protected VMs/Job name

... for that specific VM. This time I selected 'View as Tree' from Protected VMs and selected the B2D-job, both the backup and snapshot was selected. I clicked 'Delete' and only the snapshot was deleted.

Now I have two B2D-jobs entries under Protected VMs each with only a disk-backup entry and no snapshot.

Unfortunately I am unable to delete those entries anywhere. The VBR-server no longer has any backups under Home/Backups/Disk. So snapshots are removed, both in the Proxy Appliance and in the VBR-server. The disk-backups are only visible in the Proxy Appliance, but worthless.

Anyone has same problems?

Hopefully this is not because of the deployment problems I had with the Proxy Appliance due to the missing DNS-suffix, which originally prevented the Proxy Appliance from 'Creating proxy protection policy', where I had to modify the appsettins.json file to prevent the removal of Proxy Appliance and where I had to manually include the VBR-server IP and DNS-suffix into the hosts-file in /etc to be able to register the Proxy Appliance manually with the VBR-server.

ronnmartin61
Veeam Software
Liked: 24 times
Full Name: Ronn Martin

Post by ronnmartin61 »

Correct deleting snapshots is only available via the proxy UI https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/van/u ... tml?ver=20) and backups should be deleted via the VBR UI (https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/van/u ... tml?ver=20). I see the same behavior in my lab regarding the apparent persistence of the disk backup from the proxy's perspective. Going to give it a little time to see if the proxy recognizes the backup deletion if not may be a bug...

Didi7
Expert

Post by Didi7 »

Hi ronnmartin61,

I would say it's a bug then, cause 5 days old backups are still visible in the Proxy Appliance. As long as you only have a couple of backups and snapshots, that might seem to managable, but the more snapshots and backups run, this might become unmanagable, when backups deleted on the VBR-server do not disappear in the Proxy Appliance.

Maybe worth to fix in the next version of the Proxy Appliance.

Regards,
Didi7

ericschott
Product Manager
Liked: 53 times
Full Name: Eric Schott

Post by ericschott »

Please ensure you file a support case to investigate and track your issue

Didi7
Expert

Post by Didi7 »

If time goes by and if I have enough time, but obviously I am not the only person seeing this bug!

See post from ronnmartin61!

Thanks.