Host-based backup of Nutanix AHV VMs.
Didi7
Veteran
Liked: 59 times

Disk-Backups still visible in Proxy Appliance ...

Post by Didi7 »

Hi,

I continue to evaluate the Nutanix AHV Plug-in with B2D-jobs. One AHV VM was backed-up to the VBR-server. Since that backup finished, I could see 1 snapshot for that VM and 1 backup for that VM. I removed the disk-backup on the VBR-server, I removed the snapshot with the help of the Proxy Appliance, but unfortunately the disk-backup is still visible in the Proxy Appliance and of course it cannot be restored, because it's no longer available.

This disk-backup is visible under Protected VMs/Job name/B2D_TSTSRV/TSTSRV/Backup.

Rebooting the VBR-server and rebooting the Proxy Appliance is without any effect.

Strange.
Using the most recent Veeam B&R in many different environments now and counting!
Didi7
Veteran

Re: Disk-Backups still visible in Proxy Appliance ...

Post by Didi7 »

I created another B2D-job within the Proxy Appliance, which successfully finished. Another snapshot and another backup is visible under ...

Protected VMs/Job name

... for that specific VM. This time I selected 'View as Tree' from Protected VMs and selected the B2D-job, both the backup and snapshot was selected. I clicked 'Delete' and only the snapshot was deleted.

Now I have two B2D-jobs entries under Protected VMs each with only a disk-backup entry and no snapshot.

Unfortunately I am unable to delete those entries anywhere. The VBR-server no longer has any backups under Home/Backups/Disk. So snapshots are removed, both in the Proxy Appliance and in the VBR-server. The disk-backups are only visible in the Proxy Appliance, but worthless.

Anyone has same problems?

Hopefully this is not because of the deployment problems I had with the Proxy Appliance due to the missing DNS-suffix, which originally prevented the Proxy Appliance from 'Creating proxy protection policy', where I had to modify the appsettins.json file to prevent the removal of Proxy Appliance and where I had to manually include the VBR-server IP and DNS-suffix into the hosts-file in /etc to be able to register the Proxy Appliance manually with the VBR-server.
Using the most recent Veeam B&R in many different environments now and counting!
ronnmartin61
Veeam Software
Liked: 123 times
Full Name: Ronn Martin

Post by ronnmartin61 »

Correct deleting snapshots is only available via the proxy UI https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/van/u ... tml?ver=20) and backups should be deleted via the VBR UI (https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/van/u ... tml?ver=20). I see the same behavior in my lab regarding the apparent persistence of the disk backup from the proxy's perspective. Going to give it a little time to see if the proxy recognizes the backup deletion if not may be a bug...
Didi7
Veteran

Post by Didi7 »

Hi ronnmartin61,

I would say it's a bug then, cause 5 days old backups are still visible in the Proxy Appliance. As long as you only have a couple of backups and snapshots, that might seem to managable, but the more snapshots and backups run, this might become unmanagable, when backups deleted on the VBR-server do not disappear in the Proxy Appliance.

Maybe worth to fix in the next version of the Proxy Appliance.

Regards,
Didi7
ericschott
Product Manager
Liked: 92 times
Full Name: Eric Schott

Post by ericschott »

Please ensure you file a support case to investigate and track your issue
Didi7
Veteran

Post by Didi7 »

If time goes by and if I have enough time, but obviously I am not the only person seeing this bug!

See post from ronnmartin61!

Thanks.
Didi7
Veteran

Post by Didi7 »

Ok, another day, another Veeam Nutanix Proxy Appliance.

The former Veeam Nutanix Proxy Appliance got corrupted (I don't know how that was happening), so I decided to rollout a new Veeam Nutanix Proxy Appliance v2.0.558 and started with 2 new backup jobs again. In this case I created 2 backup jobs, each job should protect a domain controller. The jobs went fine and both were successful. In each job, a snapshot was created and a disk backup was created.

Allthough, I did not create a seperate Protection Domain for each VM and the backup job was crash consistent, I could access application items via the Veeam Explorer for Active Directory.

So, when I decide not to do pure snapshot backups, Veeam creates Nutanix snapshots and a disk backup, right? Why am I not able to do application item restore from the disk backup? Is this only possible, when the backup is application consistent? Strange that application item restore is possible from the Veeam Nutanix snapshot.

Then I decided to remove a disk backup from the VBR console, but the disk backup is still visible in the Veeam Nutanix Proxy Appliance under Protected VMs. In the Proxy Appliance you can only delete the snapshots, which you can't in the VBR console. If you delete snapshots in the Proxy Appliance, they vanish in the VBR console. If you delete disk backups in the VBR console, they do not vanish in the Proxy Appliance.

Beside ronnmartin61, are we the only 2 guys seeing this behavior?

Is an update for the Proxy Appliance planned for the near future?

I wonder how to get rid of this ...

[P] Backup

... entries? This part of the Proxy Appliance doesn't seem to synchronize with the VBR console. As time goes by, a lot of entries do accumulate and things get rather confusing.

Regards,
Didi7
ronnmartin61
Veeam Software
Liked: 123 times
Full Name: Ronn Martin

Post by ronnmartin61 »

Regarding the Veeam Explorer for AD / item restore from AHV disk backup since we're not able to run our "normal" application aware processing you'll need to launch a file restore session against the backup and once the backup is mounted you can then launch the Veeam Explorer for AD on the mounted backup.
Didi7
Veteran

Post by Didi7 »

Ok, I see and will give it a try next week.

Is that described anywhere in the online help? So, it doesn't make any difference whether the disk backup was crash-consistent or application-consistent, you can always launch a file restore session and then open the Veeam Explorer for AD manually? You do not need to do that, if you click on a Veeam Nutanix snapshot, there you can click application item restore directly and a seperate FLR-appliance is mounted within Nutanix cluster before you can access AD objects for restore.

First I thought, an application-consistent backup is necessary to do application item restores.

Hopefully, Nutanix will further interact with Veeam to allow some sort of AAIP, like in VMware in a future release of AOS/AVH and Veeam Nutanix Plug-In.

So, as soon as a new Protection Domain is created for each VM seperately and application-consistent backup is selected, VMs are done application-consistent and not crash-consistent, right? I have done that once in a test but couldn't click application item restore on a disk backup of a domain controller (but as you said above, it makes no difference), as you need to open a file level restore session first and then need to open Veeam Explorer for AD manually, which you don't need to open seperately, when you do the same task on a Veeam Nutanix snapshot job, right?

Things work quite good for a v2 Nutanix Proxy Appliance but there are still some bugs left, as mentioned above, which are really annoying.

Both Nutanix and Veeam still have a long path before both products interact as good as the couple Nutanix/VMware. I still prefer the latter combination, because of the maturity and because of direct SAN support, specially with storage snapshots. Performance is outstanding. Unfortunately we are moving on futher to Nutanix but maybe things get better as time goes by.

Thanks
Didi7
Didi7
Veteran

Post by Didi7 »

How are cases opened for Community Edition products, there ist no Support ID available?

Thanks