Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
flomp
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times

Test restore from object storage with separate B&R installation

Post by flomp »

I basically want to do something similar to what is already described in object-storage-f52/test-restore-from-ob ... 80692.html

I have a SOBR configured for the backups of our on-premise machines. The capacity tier is a Wasabi S3 storage with immutability configured. Backups are made directly to the SOBR which is configured to copy all new data to S3 as soon as they are created. Currently it is v11a.

I now want to do regular (manual or semi-manual) test restores from S3 using a separate B&R Server, which restores to a separate Hyper-V server.

Is that possible? And if yes, how?
Can I already use v12 as the separate B&R-Server or should I make sure the versions are the same?
Are there any licensing issues I have to pay attention? (I guess not as I am only restoring...?)

Thanks
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Test restore from object storage with separate B&R installation

Post by Mildur »

Hi
Is that possible? And if yes, how?
1. Switch the Wasabi bucket on your primary backup server to the maintenance mode
2. Connect Wasabi bucket to a new backup server (don't restore the configuration)
3. Import the backups --> https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=120
4. run restore tests
5. remove Wasabi bucket from new backup server
6. Disable maintenance mode from the Wasabi bucket on the primary backup server
Can I already use v12 as the separate B&R-Server or should I make sure the versions are the same?
Make sure, that you use the exact same build for both servers.
Don't connect a V11a capacity tier to a V12 backup server, if you want still want to use it with your V11a backup server.
As soon you have connected it to a V12 backup server, it may become unreadable by the v11a backup server.
Are there any licensing issues I have to pay attention? (I guess not as I am only restoring...?)
Restoring doesn't require a license.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
flomp
Enthusiast

Post by flomp »

Thank you Fabian!
flomp
Enthusiast

Post by flomp »

I have a few follow-up questions regarding licensing:

So I guess I can just provide the existing licensing file when preparing the "restore server"? (I don't remember that it is possible to install B&R without providing a license file at all)

And just out of curiosity (might become relevant later): We have a few unused VULs left. Can I install the same license file on a second backup server and configure additional backups (to another repository)? (Or will I need to split the VULs somehow into two license files?)
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

Hello

You can use the same license for multiple backup servers at the same time if they belong to the same organization. But you must install Veeam Enterprise Manager to manage the license between those backup servers.
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=120

Best,
Fabian
flomp
Enthusiast

Post by flomp »

Does this also apply if I just use the backup server for restore tests as described in the initial post?
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

No. If only for restore tests without any backup, you can ignore that requirement.
You can use the same license for the DR backup server.

As soon you start using both server simultaneously, a central license management (Enterprise Manager) will be required.
Splitting the license is another option, but must be done via a license support case. Using an Enterprise Manager gives you more flexible options in using your backup server. Licensed workloads are tracked over both backup server. Meaning if you protect the same VM by both backup server, only 1x license would be used from your VUL license count. Without an Enterprise Manager, the VM must be licensed per backup server and will cost you 2 licenses.

Enterprise Manager is included for free in your VUL license. It brings other benefits like password loss protection (encryption passwords) or Self Service File level restore with searching for specific files in indexed backups.

Best,
Fabian
flomp
Enthusiast

Post by flomp »

Thanks again for clarifying, Fabian!