Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
sisteminformativi
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Sistemi Informativi

SQL connection times out

Post by sisteminformativi »

We have started seeing a few failures in some operations (mainly associated with tape media inventories but not only).

The failures always report the message:

Code: Select all

Microsoft SQL server hosting the configuration database is currently unavailable. Possible reasons are heavy load, networking issue, server reboot, or hot backup. Please wait, and try again later.
Error information: Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding. The statement has been terminated.
The message is shown during a backup to tape job, and is also provided when trying to move tape medias between media pools (for example a media with expired data to the FREE media pool).
We have made a little investigation, and seen that the problem is always shown when the operation is not completed within 120 seconds, that should be the default client connection timeout values for odbc connections, but we are not able to find where the value can be modified for veeam to work properly.

ID# 00504766

We'd appreciate any hints.
Thanks.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: SQL connection times out

Post by veremin »

Hi,

We haven't seen similar issues so far. So, please keep working with our support team on addressing it.

Also, I've just asked QA team to take a look at your case and will update the topic, once I have more information.

Thanks.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

It seems that you have scheduled a WebEX session with our support engineer. So, let's wait and see how well it goes. Thanks.
sisteminformativi
Novice
Full Name: Sistemi Informativi

Post by sisteminformativi »

Just to share the status: it seems that when metadata for tape backups grow significantly, some stored procedure used for querying them take longer than 120 seconds.

I have received a local fix to optimize the query that seems to be fixing the problem, and this change will be deeply optimized to be included in a next patch release.

Thanks to the veeam support. :)
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Yep, your case has given us useful notion regarding the way how current mechanism can be further optimized. Chances are, the fix will be included in the next product patch/release.

Thanks you for spending you time on troubleshooting this issue and for sharing the feedback; much appreciated.
rftiiv15
Lurker
Full Name: DayLan Carlsted

Post by rftiiv15 »

Could you kindly post the sql fix? I am having that problem with my veeam and specifically trying to view the contents of individual tapes...

veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

The provided link is broken.

Anyway, the thread is rather old, so the resulting issue should have been fixed long time ago.

If you still experience it, the reasons are different, so, kindly, open a support ticket for further investigation.

Thanks!