Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
mobin.qasim
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Mobin Qasim

Veeam Jobs Utilising CPU 100% v6.5

Post by mobin.qasim »

Hi Guys, I'm using Veeam B&R v6.5. I've configured multiple backup jobs and while running 2 jobs at a time, Veeam B&R server utilise CPU 100% continuously.
It's installed on Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise and using separate MS SQL server 2008 R2. Previously my Veeam server was configured as 4 CPUs and CPU was spiking to 100%, so I changed it to 8 CPUs but same results. Can someone please tell me if there is any guide which I can follow to optimize CPU performance.

Let me share my current and previous configuration.

Current configuration :

Number of virtual sockets = 4
CPU spiking 100%
Number of cores per socket = 2 ----------------------

Previous configuration :-
Number of virtual sockets = 2
CPU spiking 100%
Number of cores per socket = 2 ----------------------

Regards,

Mobin Qasim
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Veeam Jobs Utilising CPU 100% v6.5

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Mobin,

Actually it is fine to see high CPU utilization on the backup server, assuming that it is also playing the role of the proxy server and you run multiple jobs through this proxy in parallel. BTW, what is the compression level you have configured for the backup jobs?

Thank you!
mobin.qasim
Enthusiast

Post by mobin.qasim »

Vitaliy, thanks for the reply. I have two different proxy servers configured for the Veeam B&R. I can only run 2 jobs at a time. If I start the 3rd job, it shows started, but in the stats it shows something like " Waiting for backup Infrastructure resource availability". Is there a way I can take better use of those two proxies I've configured? Just so you know, I'm using compression level as Optimal (recommended) and deduplication is enabled.

Thanks.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Perhaps your 2nd backup proxy does not provide the high performance transport type (direct SAN or hot add), and can only do network mode processing (NBD). If you have auto proxy selection enabled, B&R scheduler will not assign tasks to the network proxies if there are high performance proxies present that could handle the same task, and will rather have the job waiting for said proxies instead. Thanks!
mobin.qasim
Enthusiast

Post by mobin.qasim »

Thanks for the reply.Both proxies transport type is set at Direct SAN and also auto proxy selection is enabled. Just to give you a bit more detail. Concurrent tasks are set to 4. If I increase the size, would that make difference in running multiple jobs at a time or is it how it works e.g. once 2 jobs are completed and then run the following?
Cheers
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Hi, Mobin, I'm wondering whether all the job write to one repository, and, if so, what is specified as the number of simultaneous tasks the given repository can handle. Thanks.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

mobin.qasim wrote:Both proxies transport type is set at Direct SAN and also auto proxy selection is enabled.
Assuming that both proxies have datastore LUNs mounted in the same way and increasing the number of concurrent tasks on the proxy server gives no difference, I would agree with Vladimir and take a look at the repository configuration.
mobin.qasim
Enthusiast

Post by mobin.qasim »

I've also 2 repositories configured and both of them are set "Limit maximum concurrent jobs count to: 4". Do I need to make any changes?
Again my question is, as I've two proxies and two repositories configured, is CPU 100% utilisation still normal?

Cheers
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, high CPU utilization is normal due to data compression, in version 7 we have lowered CPU resource utilization, so you may want to upgrade your current installation.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

What transport mode is effectively used to retrieve data from the source storage (this info is available as one of the following tags right next to the proxy server name in the job statistics window: [san], [hotadd], [nbd])? What kind of proxies are you using - am I understanding right that one of them is the default one, installed as a part of Veeam B&R installation (virtual)? Is another one also virtual? Does it have access to the source datastore?

Also, what processes do consume CPU during the backup?
mobin.qasim
Enthusiast

Post by mobin.qasim »

Hi Foggy, I can see [Hotadd] in the job stats. And both proxies are Virtual. In fact, there are 3 proxies in total.
1- Default Veeam Backup Server Proxy
2- Separate Server
3- separate Server
mobin.qasim
Enthusiast

Post by mobin.qasim »

Vitaliy, will be looking to upgrade to v7 soon. Thanks
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Vitaliy S. wrote:Yes, high CPU utilization is normal due to data compression, in version 7 we have lowered CPU resource utilization, so you may want to upgrade your current installation.
Short answer to the original question: it's normal for versions prior to v7. Compression algorithm we used to use was very CPU intensive.
mobin.qasim
Enthusiast

Post by mobin.qasim »

Thanks for the reply Gostev.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

mobin.qasim wrote:I have two different proxy servers configured for the Veeam B&R. I can only run 2 jobs at a time. If I start the 3rd job, it shows started, but in the stats it shows something like " Waiting for backup Infrastructure resource availability".
I was trying to explain this behavior, hence my question regarding datastore access above. Btw, are other proxy servers ever assigned backup tasks or all the activity is performed by a single proxy (default one?) while other ones are also idle?