Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Data Platform
polaco1977
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Martin Garcia

[Veeam 7.0] Delete/Suppress ALL alarms

Post by polaco1977 »

Hi Everyone!
Is there any sql command to suppress/delete all alarms?
Also.. its possible to delete alarms based on their status (Error/Warning/Resolved)?

Veeam is generating LOTS of Resolved alarms (I have 500+ stand alone ESX) and the DB keeps growing.

Any ideas?
Thanks in advance,
Paulo
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: [Veeam 7.0] Delete/Suppress ALL alarms

Post by veremin »

Hi,

If you want to suppress all alarm, kindly, take a look at this script provided in the adjacent thread. Be aware to specify time period in accordance with your needs.

Thanks.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

polaco1977 wrote:Veeam is generating LOTS of Resolved alarms (I have 500+ stand alone ESX) and the DB keeps growing.
What kind of alarms are these? Do you see issues happening and resolving all the time automatically?
polaco1977
Novice

Post by polaco1977 »

Vitaliy S. wrote: What kind of alarms are these? Do you see issues happening and resolving all the time automatically?
Vitaliy,
There isnt any issues about that. What I want is to delete a "Resolved/Warning/Error" alarm that was fired on November 2013 for ie.
polaco1977
Novice

Post by polaco1977 »

v.Eremin wrote:Hi,

If you want to suppress all alarm, kindly, take a look at this script provided in the adjacent thread. Be aware to specify time period in accordance with your needs.

Thanks.
Eremin, thanks for your quick reply.
I saw that script a few days ago but I think I expressed my self incorrectly.
I want to DELETE ALL the alarms that are shown in the Infrastructure view and/or delete them by their Status.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Got it! In order to do that automatically (purge old alarms/performance and events data) you can use retention policy settings that are available through our support utility:

Code: Select all

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Veeam\Veeam ONE Settings\VeeamOneSettings.exe
As to removing all alarms based on their status, then there is no GUI method for this, probably some kind of SQL script can do that.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

polaco1977 wrote:What I want is to delete a "Resolved/Warning/Error" alarm that was fired on November 2013 for ie.
May I ask you why you want to do it?

I'm wondering, since if you're after cleaning up database, then, please be aware, that "alarm" components contribute to 5% of the whole database, while the rest is occupied by "performance" components, etc. So, you're unlikely to gain any additional space or reduce the database size, especially, by cleaning alarms generated on one day.

Thanks.
polaco1977
Novice

Post by polaco1977 »

Vitaliy S. wrote:Got it! In order to do that automatically (purge old alarms/performance and events data) you can use retention policy settings that are available through our support utility:

Code: Select all

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Veeam\Veeam ONE Settings\VeeamOneSettings.exe
As to removing all alarms based on their status, then there is no GUI method for this, probably some kind of SQL script can do that.
Very helpful! Thanks!
Although our veeam is running less than 3 months ago. But, for a future version, can you add more options to shorten the retention period? Like 1-3 months, 15 days, etc?
Could you tell me which is the table where the alarms are stored? Could it be "monitor.Event" ?
Thanks again!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

How large is your infrastructure? How many hosts, VM and datastores do you have?

Usually 6 months of data can be stored in SQL Server Express with no issues for not large infrastructures, but adding more options to the retention should also be possible to do.
polaco1977
Novice

Post by polaco1977 »

Vitaliy S. wrote:How large is your infrastructure? How many hosts, VM and datastores do you have?

>> 500+ Stand Alone ESX + 3 vm's per ESX + 2 datastore per ESX

Usually 6 months of data can be stored in SQL Server Express with no issues for not large infrastructures, but adding more options to the retention should also be possible to do.
>> It would be great! =)
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

500 hosts? That's great! Can you please tell me how large your Veeam ONE DB is now?
polaco1977
Novice

Post by polaco1977 »

Vitaliy S. wrote:500 hosts? That's great! Can you please tell me how large your Veeam ONE DB is now?
17gb aprox BUT all real-time scanning (CPU-memory) are disabled. Only 3 alarms are active.
We use Veeam to have a "view" of ALL our 500 stand alone esx
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Thanks for sharing! Real-time counters are not stored within the database, so even if you disable it, it will not affect the database size. Actually I'm quite surprised that your database is 17 GBs, I was expecting to see larger figures :)