Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
casaubon
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Antoine

VBR "users and role" utility

Post by casaubon »

Hello,

does anyone use users with the "tools > users and roles" utility ?

i don't understand how it works : i tried to grant a local user VBR6SRV\test with for example the operator role but when i connect to the VBR server (mstsc) with this user:
- I cannot open the VBR console, it's asking me the administrator password
- I cannot use the PowerShell cmdlet as it doesn't work if the user don't have admin right

you will find here the PS error :

Code: Select all

PS C:\Users\test> Add-PSSnapin VeeamPSSnapIn
PS C:\Users\test>
PS C:\Users\test> Get-VBRBackup
Get-VBRBackup : SQL server is not available
At line:1 char:14
+ Get-VBRBackup <<<<
    + CategoryInfo          : InvalidOperation: (Veeam.Backup.Po...nd.GetVBRBackup:GetVBRBackup) [Get-VBRBackup], CApp
   Exception
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Backup,Veeam.Backup.PowerShell.Command.GetVBRBackup
so does it make a sense to use this feature ?

Thx for your help !
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: VBR "users and role' utility

Post by foggy »

Hello, Antoine. The local user you are assigning the operator role to should have access to the Veeam SQL database to be able to open console and perform any actions within it. Once the user gets the DB access, it will be able to open console and start/stop existing jobs (if we are talking about Backup Operator role), but will not be able to perform any other administrative activities.
casaubon
Novice
Full Name: Antoine

Post by casaubon »

Should this user have a "db_owner" database access or less ?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Yes, should have db_owner.
liviu.tutuianu
Enthusiast
Full Name: Liviu Tutuianu

Re: VBR "users and role" utility

Post by liviu.tutuianu »

Hello,

Starting from this thread, I see that in v7 we have these roles defined on VBR:

Backup Administrator - Can perform all administrative activities in Veeam Backup & Replication
Backup Operator - Can start and stop existing jobs and perform restore operations
Backup Viewer - Has the “read-only” access to Veeam Backup & Replication – can view existing and performed jobs and review the job session details
Restore Operator - Can perform restore operations using existing backups and replicas

Now, If I want to grant to some AD users access to restore files, but also to start/stop existing backup/replication jobs, I need to add them to both Backup Operator and Restore Operator groups, right?

Also, you say that these users should have db_owner. Could you be more explicit how can I assign theses permissions to my AD users? I am not familiarized with SQL statements. Each of our VBRs are Win2k8 R2, 64 bit, with Veeeam 7 with default installation.

Also, do you know if it possible to assign certain users with the rights from above only on some jobs?

Thanks in advance for your kind feedback,
Liviu
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

liviu.tutuianu wrote:Now, If I want to grant to some AD users access to restore files, but also to start/stop existing backup/replication jobs, I need to add them to both Backup Operator and Restore Operator groups, right?
Backup Operator role can perform restore operations, as it is stated in your post, so no need to assign second role.
liviu.tutuianu wrote:Also, you say that these users should have db_owner. Could you be more explicit how can I assign theses permissions to my AD users? I am not familiarized with SQL statements.
Just give the corresponding AD user db_owner role in SQL Server Management Studio.
liviu.tutuianu wrote:Also, do you know if it possible to assign certain users with the rights from above only on some jobs?
No, this is not possible with the current security model.
brunofernandez
Novice
Full Name: Bruno Fernandez

[MERGED] Problems with Veeam B&R Console

Post by brunofernandez »

Hey there :D

I'm actually configuring Veeam to allow other persons to have access to the VBR Console.
So i created a Domain Group and putted the group in the server local "Remote Desktop User" group. btw. Veeam and the vCenter is installed on the same Server. This is the reason why o don't want to give them more rights than "RDP"
In Veeam I gave them the "Veeam Backup Viewer Role".

Now, when they trie to open the Console the UAC is asking for a Admin Account. Why is VBR asking for a Admin Account when I only trie to open the console?
Is there another way to allow my users to start the VBR console without to give them local admin rights?

Regards
Bruno
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Bruno,

Does the account you're trying to use have access to Veeam configuration database?

Thanks!
brunofernandez
Novice

Post by brunofernandez »

Hi Vitaliy

Thanks for the quick reply and for moving my post.
No, the user/group is not allowed. What permissions do I have to give to them?

Regards
Bruno
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

I believe the permissions should be the following, read/write access might also do the trick:
foggy wrote:Yes, should have db_owner.
brunofernandez
Novice

Post by brunofernandez »

i just gave db_owner permission to the group. Still same problem.
i think this is a UAC problem. because when I add the User to the local admin group I can open the console without having permissions on the database :roll:
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

I have double-checked and you're right local admin account is required to open Veeam backup console. Local admin account is also required when you run FLR sessions.
brunofernandez
Novice

Post by brunofernandez »

is there a way to change this? I dont wan't to allow this users to have local admin access.
on the same server i have sql server, vcenter and veeam installed. :oops:
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Unfortunately, I'm not aware of any workarounds, but we are going to address this in the next releases.
brunofernandez
Novice

Post by brunofernandez »

yes, this would be nice.
because with our environment constellation we can't use "Users and Roles" as long as the console must be opened with admin privileges.
dragos.rosu
Novice
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Dragos Rosu

Post by dragos.rosu » 8 people like this post

I really hope this post will eventually help someone. These days we had tried to find a way to implement "Users and Roles" Veeam feature into our environment (each of our VBRs are Win2k8 R2, 64 bit -mixed installation of Veeam 6.5 and Veeam 7 ) and we digged deep to find how.

Roles and functions In Veeam 7.0:
Veeam Restore Operator - Can perform restore operations using existing backups and replicas. ONLY
Veeam Backup Viewer - Has the “read-only” access to Veeam Backup & Replication — can view existing and performed jobs and review the job session details.
Veeam Backup Operator - Can start and stop existing jobs. BUT can't use Restore Option
Veeam Backup Administrator -Can perform all administrative activities in Veeam Backup & Replication.
Note:If you need a user to Start/Stop jobs and Restore u need to add it in "Users and Roles" Veeam feature two times - as Backup Operator and Restore Operator.

Note: Another thing we found out is when installing Veeam 6.0 and 6.5 it deploys the DB in MSSQL2005 and when we install Veeam 7.0 it deploys the DB in MSSQl2008R2, so we had two slightly different cases to configure.If you upgraded from 6.0 or 6.5 to 7.0 the DB remains the same in MSSQL2005.

1. For Veeam 6.0, 6.5, 7.0 with MSSQL2005:
-*-go to Veeam under Users and Roles and add the user you need access for.

-*-go to Computer Management->System Tools->Local Users and Groups ->Groups:
a. Add the user you need access for in the built-in group that is created by Veeam named: SQLServer2005MSSQLUser$VBR_NAme$VEEAM -> where VBR_name is the name of the computer where Veeam is installed;
b. Add the user to a remote users group if your environment has this;
c. Add the user to a group that can override security restrictions but is not Administrator, otherwise when you try to make a restore the user will have access only to the files from drive C: and on the rest of the drives it will get the Error: Access is Denied;
Note: I don't know exactly what kind of access must have the group from the point C. because we already had a built-in group only for restore purposes.
d. Finish, try to log in.

2. For Veeam 7.0 with MSSQL2008R2:
-*-go to Veeam under Users and Roles and add the user you need access for.

-*-go to Computer Management->System Tools->Local Users and Groups ->Groups:
a. Add the user u need acces for in the built-in group that is created by Veeam named: ServerMSSQLUser$VBR_Name$VEEAMSQL2008R2 -> where VBR_name is the name of the computer where Veeam is installed;
b. Add the user to a remote users group if your environment has this;
c. Add the user to a group that can override security restrictions but is not Administrator, otherwise when you try to make a restore the user will have access only to the files from drive C: and on the rest of the drives it will get the Error: Access is Denied.
Note: I don't know exactly what kind of access must have the group from the point C. because we had a build in group only for restore purposes.go to Veeam under Users and Roles and add the user you need acces for.

-*-Install Microsoft® SQL Server® 2008 Management Studio Express -> http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download ... px?id=7593

-*-Login to the VeeamDB go to Security -> Logins -> New Login. At the Login - New page :
a.go to General -> Search and add the user you need access for;
b. go to User Mapping -> check the check-box at Map where the VeeamBackup is displayed, then database role membership for: VeeamBackup can be modified;
c. check db_owner at Database role membership for VeeamBackup;
d. Hit Ok and you Finished, try to log in.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Dragos, thank you for re-using the existing topic and sharing this post with the community.
liviu.tutuianu
Enthusiast
Full Name: Liviu Tutuianu

Post by liviu.tutuianu »

dragos.rosu wrote: c. Add the user to a group that can override security restrictions but is not Administrator, otherwise when you try to make a restore the user will have access only to the files from drive C: and on the rest of the drives it will get the Error: Access is Denied;
Note: I don't know exactly what kind of access must have the group from the point C. because we already had a built-in group only for restore purposes.
-> The built-in Backup Operators group is the most suitable..

@Dragos: Excellent work.

All the best,
Liviu
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1401 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Post by Andreas Neufert »

Again thank you for sharing this. Looking forward to the next Call/Meeting. CU Andy
brunofernandez
Novice

Post by brunofernandez »

thank you for sharing your information with us.
but I still recieve the User Account Control pop up and can't open the Veeam console with user whitch are not local admins :cry:

Edit: I also added the User Group to the Backup Operators local group but no chance
MarcoZ
Novice
Full Name: Marco Zoutewelle

Post by MarcoZ »

brunofernandez wrote:thank you for sharing your information with us.
but I still recieve the User Account Control pop up and can't open the Veeam console with user whitch are not local admins :cry:

Edit: I also added the User Group to the Backup Operators local group but no chance
Some problem here and I don't want the Restore Operators to be local admin on the server.

Any idea how to get this to work?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Local admin account is required to open Veeam backup console, however you can use Enterprise Manager to perform FLR restores. In this case you don't need to add your account to the local admin group on the backup server.
brunofernandez
Novice

Post by brunofernandez »

Vitaliy S. wrote:Unfortunately, I'm not aware of any workarounds, but we are going to address this in the next releases.
Vitaliy said to me that they will resolv this problem in the next releases :wink:
MarcoZ
Novice

Post by MarcoZ »

Vitaliy S. wrote:Local admin account is required to open Veeam backup console, however you can use Enterprise Manager to perform FLR restores. In this case you don't need to add your account to the local admin group on the backup server.
but for Enterprise Manager you need enterprise licenses before you can use the restore option :(
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Enterprise Manager itself does not require enterprise license edition, however in order to use 1-click FLR you should have either Enterprise or Enterprise Plus edition.
MarcoZ
Novice

Post by MarcoZ »

Vitaliy S. wrote:Enterprise Manager itself does not require enterprise license edition, however in order to use 1-click FLR you should have either Enterprise or Enterprise Plus edition.
Yeah that's the problem, we use Standard licenses. So for now I should give the restore operators local admin rights to the server. Hopefully this will be changed in future releases
Ben Milligan
Expert
Liked: 40 times

Post by Ben Milligan » 1 person likes this post

Thank you, Dragos, for your post. We have created a KB article as well that describes these roles as well.

http://www.veeam.com/kb1853

Thanks!
r1819m
Lurker
Full Name: Ryan Muehling

[MERGED] Permissions

Post by r1819m »

I am trying to give a group of people read only access in Veeam. Which is a very easy setup in Veeam BUT the problem starts with local server access. I really do not want to give the local admin access but seems like i might have to in order to start veeam. I am hosting veeam on server 2008 R2. Anyone have any advise or know a fix? thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Ryan, please review this thread for some hints and feel free to ask if any clarification is required. Thanks.
wilkins44
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Jay Wilkins

Post by wilkins44 »

Sorry to dig up an old post, but did the permissions change for some of the roles with V8?

I've got a group of operators that monitor the status and completion of our backup jobs. They will occasionally need to start or stop jobs, so Backup Operator is the role that they've got now. In V7 we gave them the Backup Operator role, and they were able to import and export tapes. We did the same thing for V8, but now they can't do the import or export. The only other change is that we are using the tape proxy feature on the repository instead of connecting the B&R up to the autoloader.

I'm able to import and export as an administrator, but I'd like to get things set up so I don't have to do this for them every week.

I'd rather not give them Restore Operator permissions since they don't do any restores, but if that's the only option...