Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
ajtsystems
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: James Bennett

Backup Job across a 100mb leased line

Post by ajtsystems »

Hi,

I'm 15% way through an initial copy of a Backup job which is copying 13 Hyper-V VMs. Its copying fairly well and at some point in the coming days it will complete, I have a few questions

1: Is there a timeout setting for the VM copy that I can enable so that if the VPN drops out it will wait for it to come back up?
2: Once the initial job is finished will the subsequent jobs be incremental? I don't see any options for this and obviously its a copy job so will it just start a fresh copy. Is there anything I can do with the restore points option maybe?

Thanks
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Backup Job across a 100mb leased line

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi James,

1. Resume option is available if you use WAN accelerators. Do you use backup copy or backup jobs?
2. Yes, next runs will be incremental.

Thanks!
ajtsystems
Novice

Post by ajtsystems »

Hi,

Its a Backup Copy job. The backup accelerator looks good but I only have a NAS box at the other end of the 100 MB leased line and no Windows\Linux O\S, would this still be an option?

James
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

I'm wondering how this device is connected to the backup console. As a CIFS share? If so, you have to have proxying server deployed at remote location through which the data will be written to the said device.

Thanks.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

You need to have WAN accelerator deployed on the target site in order to use the resume option. BTW, how did you expose your NAS box to the backup server? As a CIFS repository?

Also if you're worried about potential connection drops, I would recommend to pre-seed your backup copy jobs and run just incremental passes.
ajtsystems
Novice

Post by ajtsystems »

Hi,

Yes, just a CIFs share, seems to work well. The NAS is actually on my desk but plugged into a BT Infinity Fibre broadband line. I could easily get it on the network to Seed the backup.
As for the incremental, after the first backup copy do incremental just kick in??
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, all other runs will be incremental. Even though it works well now, I would still recommend to follow Vladimir's advice, because you definitely want to keep all the transform traffic in the off-site location (with CIFS repository backup data will be sent back and forth over the WAN link without proxying server).