Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
frenaud
Novice
Liked: never

LAN speed

Post by frenaud »

I would like to know if the LAN speed of the Veeam server impacts the backup speed if the target repository is a NAS drive?

We have a Veeam Backup Server connected through a 1GB LAN connection. The target repository for our backups is a QNAP NAS with a 2GB trunk netowkr connection. Will we be seeing better performance if we team and trunk 2 netowkr cards on the Backup Server?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2721 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: LAN speed

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Data transfer speed depends on the connection between proxy server and repository. Do use proxy server that is pre-installed together with the backup server? BTW, what are you current bottleneck stats fort the backup jobs?
frenaud
Novice
Liked: never

Post by frenaud »

We're currently setting up our first installation, so no benchmarks yet.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

You should run a test backup and see what the primary bottleneck would be. Chances are your target repository write speed will be the bottleneck and improving network throughput would not have much effect.
Fiskepudding
Expert
Liked: 26 times
Full Name: Espen Dykesteen

Post by Fiskepudding »

Alexander, that depends very much on his other infrastructure, proxy performance, performance of the NAS, type and number for disks, disk/raid config, and off cause backup type and settings selected. Up to date proxy and source will easy max a 1GB link in my opinion. Unless the NAS is low end atom based device with a few spindles I think it will handle the writes just fine…..

Since you have not tested this yet, I could share some info since we use an OLD 8 bay QNAP box on some of your jobs. Disk array is RAID6+spare, so performance wise it is the worst setup.
However it has no problem saturating a 1 GB link. We currently use the other NIC on another subnet, so it is a long time since we had them trunked, but if I remember correctly it was still the network that was its limitation.

As long as source and proxy can handle the load I think 2GB trunk would be worth setting up. If you could share some more info on the environment and planned config of jobs, we might give you a better qualified guess.
But only way to be sure is to test :)
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Fiskepudding wrote:Alexander, that depends very much on his other infrastructure, proxy performance, performance of the NAS, type and number for disks, disk/raid config, and off cause backup type and settings selected.
Sure! The only thing I was trying to say is that
Fiskepudding wrote:...only way to be sure is to test :)
Fiskepudding
Expert
Liked: 26 times
Full Name: Espen Dykesteen

Post by Fiskepudding »

That did not come out right Alexander.
I guess that all I wanted to say was that I am a bit more optimistic then you, that a "random" qnap can write faster then 1GB link can provide.
:)