Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
TommyB
Expert
Liked: 16 times
Full Name: Thomas Braun

Export media set?

Post by TommyB »

Hi,

most likely this is a stupid question... but I just don't get what the meaning of "export media set" might be.

What actually happens when a media set is "exported"?

Does this only apply to configurations where a tape library is used?

Thomas
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Export media set?

Post by foggy »

Thomas, this option allows to place the tapes belonging to the media set to the Import/Export (Mail) slot of the library on job completion (for further transfer offsite, for example).
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

There are two options that you can specify while working with cassettes - "Eject media once the job finishes", and "Export current media set". The former option allows the media to be placed back to its original slot, once the tape job is finished. The later one automatically moves the written medias (media set/media family) further into i/e (mailslot), as Alexander has pointed out.

Thanks.
TommyB
Expert
Liked: 16 times
Full Name: Thomas Braun

Post by TommyB »

Thanks for the explanation.

Because I did not use a tape library so far, I was not aware of the concept of an "export slot"

So "exporting" did not mean much to me in the context of a single tape drive backup.

Maybe the documentation should contain a hint like "applies only to tape library hardware, not to single drive configurations".

Obviously, the tape backup part was not designed with single tape operation in mind...

Thomas
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

I would rather say, it was designed to address all the common usage scenarios and fully utilize capabilities of the corresponding hardware.