Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
TommyB
Expert
Liked: 16 times
Full Name: Thomas Braun

Question regarding Shure backup / virtual lab settings

Post by TommyB »

Hi,

I'm using (or to be more precise, I'm trying to use) shure backup for the first time, but I keep getting errors that the ping test fails for the VM I'm testing.

This is the setup I currently use:

Production network: 192.168.0.0/24, Gateway 192.168.0.1

The isolated Network in the lab has been automatically configured with the "Basic single host" option... According to the summary this is configured as follows:

Code: Select all

Appliance:	
   Name:		Lab1
   Pool name:		Lab1
   Folder name:	Lab1

IP:		<Obtain automatically>
   DNS:	<Obtain automatically>

Network configuration type:	basic single-host

Network options:
      Isolated network:  Lab1 Hausnetz
      Masquerade IP:     192.168.255.0
      Appliance IP:      192.168.1.1
      DHCP:              enabled
I'm not sure if the appliance IP is correct, shouldn't this be in the 192.168.0.x-range as well?

Thomas
TieT
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Tim Tielens

Re: Question regarding Shure backup / virtual lab settings

Post by TieT »

No this is correct, its a masq IP, so when you power on a VM its not automatically connected to you production network.
Otherwise you could have IP conflicts ;-)
nefes
Veeam Software
Liked: 162 times
Full Name: Nikita Efes

Post by nefes »

There are two most possible causes of that problem:
1. If you have a lot of VM Networks on your source host, basic configuration may take incorrect source network for remapping. So when VM starts in lab, it's network is not remapped to isolated and stays disconnected.
2. Your backup console and Virtual Lab placed in different subnets. So routing rule, configured on backup console, does not work.
TommyB
Expert

Post by TommyB »

nefes wrote:There are two most possible causes of that problem:
1. If you have a lot of VM Networks on your source host, basic configuration may take incorrect source network for remapping. So when VM starts in lab, it's network is not remapped to isolated and stays disconnected.
I checked and the VM's inside the lab network are on the same subnet as in the production network.
nefes wrote: 2. Your backup console and Virtual Lab placed in different subnets. So routing rule, configured on backup console, does not work.
According to the vsphere console display, the lab appliance has the following IP: 192.168.0.32 (acquired via DHCP) and I can ping it from my workstation, so the lab is in the correct subnet.

To be honest, I do not completely understand how this is supposed to work.

I don't dare to use the manual configuration option as I don't want to risk having a duplicate DC or Exchange server in my production network.
nefes
Veeam Software
Liked: 162 times
Full Name: Nikita Efes

Post by nefes »

TommyB wrote: I checked and the VM's inside the lab network are on the same subnet as in the production network.
I'm not sure that understood you right. Am I correct, that when Production VM is started in the lab, it is connected to "Lab1 Hausnetz" network?
TommyB wrote: According to the vsphere console display, the lab appliance has the following IP: 192.168.0.32 (acquired via DHCP) and I can ping it from my workstation, so the lab is in the correct subnet.
Then it is not the problem in your case.
TommyB wrote: To be honest, I do not completely understand how this is supposed to work.

I don't dare to use the manual configuration option as I don't want to risk having a duplicate DC or Exchange server in my production network.
You have to choices to be on the safe side:
1. Create dummy VM connected to your production network and check settings of lab on it.
2. Ask our Support Team to help you with setup.
TommyB
Expert

Post by TommyB »

nefes wrote: I'm not sure that understood you right. Am I correct, that when Production VM is started in the lab, it is connected to "Lab1 Hausnetz" network?
Yes, and it has the same IP address / subnet as the VM in the production network.

One more question - which machine is doing the actual "ping" test, the physical Veeam backup server or the virtual lab machine?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Thomas, all verification checks are performed by the backup server. Here is a existing topic for additional info > SureBackup Job on Offsite Backup