Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
wa15
Veteran
Liked: 25 times

VMXNET3 RE-IP Issues - Veeam Failover

Post by wa15 »

Hello all,

I just did a test failover on 2008 R2 VM with VMXNET 3 card, and I am seeing that the VMXNET3 didn't get re-ip'ed as it was supposed to. I saw that this KB is for Veeam v6, but any idea if the re-ip issue was fixed for v7 of Veeam? We are also testing SRM with this exact same VM and didn't have an issue.

http://www.veeam.com/kb1601

Thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: VMXNET3 RE-IP Issues - Veeam Failover

Post by foggy »

Farshid, as far as I know the situation has not changed since v6, the issue still persists and the described solution applies (actually, this is not Veeam but Microsoft/VMware issue, as it is mentioned in the KB).
davidb1234
Expert
Liked: 15 times
Full Name: David Borden

Post by davidb1234 »

wa15 wrote:Hello all,

I just did a test failover on 2008 R2 VM with VMXNET 3 card, and I am seeing that the VMXNET3 didn't get re-ip'ed as it was supposed to. I saw that this KB is for Veeam v6, but any idea if the re-ip issue was fixed for v7 of Veeam? We are also testing SRM with this exact same VM and didn't have an issue.

http://www.veeam.com/kb1601

Thanks!
Download microsoft hotfix KB2550978 This will resolve this issue. It is not a veeam problem.
wa15
Veteran

Post by wa15 »

Thanks all. I'll give it shot. It being a MS/Vmware issue, I am not sure how VMWare SRM manages to pull this off without needing a patch. Probably copies the same MAC address or something. Thank you.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Please kindly keep us updated on how it is going.
wa15
Veteran

Post by wa15 »

Did another test fail over, and what's happening is that after failover, DHCP is enabled on the DR copy of the VM. Though in the Veeam logs, the "re-apply IP rules" completes successfully, I think the DHCP is overriding it. Not sure why DHCP is getting enabled upon failover and when the original VM has a static IP address. VMWare tools are updates on the VM if that matters. Will some more testing and report back!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Did you change the adapter type when you were running these tests?
wa15
Veteran

Post by wa15 »

Adapter type remained VMXNET 3 and I should have clarified, I didn't apply the MS hotfix yet as I was hoping it would work without needing the hotfix.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Unfortunately, changing the adapter type or applying the hotfix is a must to address this issue.