Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
WingDog
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Kirill

How to restore a Backup-Proxy host at remote site?

Post by WingDog »

Hello.
We are testing and planning VBR and found some misunderstanding with remote site recover process.
Here is schema
Veeam BR Server 7 <---slow WAN connection to remote site---> Hyper-V 2012 + guest windows server 2008 r2 and backup-proxy (name "test1.domain.local") and some other guests <----LAN--->CIFS (linux cifs share, some soho NAS) Backup Repository with proxying server "test1.domain.local".
We made backup of all guests and "test1.domain.local" to backup share - all right.
Now we are testing DR situation while "test1.domain.local" is broken and inaccessible (veeam services are stopped), but all backup files are accessible at NAS share.
Without backup-proxy we can't restore any VM at this site at all because of error "RPC connection failed %test1_IP_address" - that is correct, backup proxy is "dead".

So the question is: how to recover Backup-Proxy server?

thank you!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: How to restore a Backup-Proxy host at remote site?

Post by veremin »

Hi, Kirill,

Just to be 100% sure -

You're saying that guest machine named "test1.domain.local" serves a "proxying server" role for the given CIFS repository; if this machine goes down, and you try to initiate restore procedure, it will fail due to "proxying server" unavailability, right?

Thanks.
WingDog
Enthusiast

Post by WingDog »

Hello Vladimir.
Yes, you are right.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin » 1 person likes this post

If this server is specified manually as a proxying server for the given CIFS repository, then, VB&R will look for it during restore operation. If this server is unavailable, you can go to the repository settings and select any Windows-based machine to perform "proxying server" role. Once different proxying server is specified, the restoration should work without any issues.

Thanks.
WingDog
Enthusiast

Post by WingDog »

v.Eremin wrote:If this server is specified manually as a proxying server for the given CIFS repository, then, VB&R will look for it during restore operation. If this server is unavailable, you can go to the repository settings and select any Windows-based machine to perform "proxying server" role. Once different proxying server is specified, the restoration should work without any issues.

Thanks.
I've changed Backup Repository - Proxying Server to "Automatic Selection" instead of ""test1.domain.local" and successfully recovered "test1.domain.local"..
I't so easy and I'm so dumb =(

Thank you very much Vladimir!

One more question - with such configuration how can I determine which Proxy Server is using during backup or restore?
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

By default, in case of automatic selection, the first server to be tried as proxying server will be "source" Hyper-V host. As far as I remember, its name will be reflected in the job sessions. Thanks.
WingDog
Enthusiast

Post by WingDog »

v.Eremin wrote:By default, in case of automatic selection, the first server to be tried as proxying server will be "source" Hyper-V host. As far as I remember, its name will be reflected in the job sessions. Thanks.
nope =(
or I can't find where it is.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

I must have mixed up "proxy" and "proxying server". Only the former will be shown in GUI. However, in case of automatic selection, "source" host will perform both roles (on-host proxy, proxying server); so, you can more or less rely on information regarding the proxy server.

Thanks.
WingDog
Enthusiast

Post by WingDog »

v.Eremin wrote:I must have mixed up "proxy" and "proxying server". Only the former will be shown in GUI. However, in case of automatic selection, "source" host will perform both roles (on-host proxy, proxying server); so, you can more or less rely on information regarding the proxy server.

Thanks.
ok.
thank you!