Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
cffit
Veteran
Liked: 35 times
Full Name: Christensen Farms

Full Backup Cancel and then re-runs as Weekday Incremental

Post by cffit »

I have a backup schedule for "FILES to tape" like so:

Monday AM - Full, Weekend Pool
Tuesday AM - Inc, Weekday Pool
Wednesday AM - Inc, Weekday Pool
Thursday AM - Inc, Weekday Pool
Friday AM - Inc, Weekday Pool
Saturday AM - Inc, Weekday Pool

This Monday AM, I added an additional folder to the "FILES to tape" job before it ran the Full backup. The full backup started and pulled the correct tape in the Weekend Pool. The job ran forever and hung because the folder I added was a folder with thousands of small files, which I know VEEAM currently is very slow at backing up. Rather than wait 3 weeks for the job to finish, I cancelled the job, edited it to remove the folder I had added, and then restarted the job. When I did this, it pulled the Weekday Pool tape from the Friday a few days ago (rather than the tape it had just been writing to out of the Weekend Pool) and ran what looks like another incremental to that instead of continuing the full which I had to cancel.

Is that expected behavior or can anyone give me an idea what might have happened?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Full Backup Cancel and then re-runs as Weekday Increment

Post by veremin »

Hi, Christensen, have you tried to erase the given tape medium before starting the file to tape job from the scratch? Probably, some files were written to tape medium and VB&R decided that successful full run was performed, and started copying incremental files, using corresponding Media Pool ("Weekday") and the oldest weekday tape.

From my perspective, the erase operation should remove the information regarding full run from the backup console and you should be able to copy desired files to the correct cassettes.

Thanks.
cffit
Veteran
Liked: 35 times
Full Name: Christensen Farms

Post by cffit »

No, I didn't think to do that. I forget that VEEAM keeps track of what it backs up in the database and doesn't go off windows file archive bits. Erasing the tape probably would have worked for me. I thought if I did that I'd lose what was on the tape and not be able to back it up again, as with Backup Exec, but with VEEAM that would have worked. It does seem buggy though that VEEAM would deem a full backup job that is cancelled as done and then when it is re-run it assumes it's doing an incremental. Thanks
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

It does seem buggy though that VEEAM would deem a full backup job that is cancelled as done and then when it is re-run it assumes it's doing an incremental.
I didn't say this is exactly what happened, I just made an assumption.

Only the log analysis should clarify the situation. So, if you're willing to understand the root cause of the issue, kindly, open a ticket with our support team.

Thanks.