Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
jkettler
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time

Moving Replica Location

Post by jkettler »

Hi there. I am looking to move some of our current Hyper-V replicas to different storage relative to the target host. I've found this KB article on VMware but none for Hyper-V. Is it possible to do this without a complete re-seed?

http://www.veeam.com/kb1458
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Moving Replica Location

Post by Vitaliy S. » 1 person likes this post

Yes, you do not need to do a complete re-seed of the replication job if you decide to change its destination host/datastore. You need to move VM files to the new datastore and then use replica mapping feature to transfer incremental changes only.

See our User Guide for further details > http://helpcenter.veeam.com/backup/70/h ... ng_hv.html

Let me know if that helps!
jkettler
Enthusiast

Post by jkettler »

I had already tried the mapped replica but it didn't do the trick. I had to delete the Hyper-V replica "registration" and re-add it, then the mapped replica worked. Veeam support said I would have to completely re-seed but thankfully I did not.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Re-seeding is not required, so there must be some misunderstanding. As to the initial attempt of replica mapping, did you have any errors that forced you to unregister the VM?
jkettler
Enthusiast

Post by jkettler »

Yes, the job would fail after sending the data during replication, but then auto-retry and complete immediately as "successful" without sending any additional data. This would happen each time.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Ok, I wonder what was the error message of these failures. Anyway, good that you're up and running now.