Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
choldings
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Colin

Backup to tape job (nothing to backup)

Post by choldings »

Yeah, that's the funky part... the e-mails state which tape was written to but because nothing was written to tape and the e-mails are still marked as a success, they have no idea how to handle it.

I just logged on and looked at it through the application itself and to be honest I don't understand what happened either. Two of our backup to tape jobs didn't write anything to tape but claim success. They even identify the vbk as a file to backup but 0 files & 0 directories get written. Very strange.

We'll sort out the application access here but perhaps I will have to open a SR to figure out what happened with these two tape jobs.

Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

How do you configure your tape jobs?
choldings
Enthusiast

Post by choldings »

The disk job kicks them off when it completes. The times seem to make sense (unless I'm overlooking something) on the files, jobs etc...

The tape job will grab a tape if needed from the Free pool but in this case it already had a tape available to write to in the media set. There is still a tape in the Free pool that was never touched so I assume it didn't need another one.

There were no errors anywhere. Everything is green success from the application to the emails that got sent out. It just chose not to write the vbk to tape even though it looks like it was well aware of it. It even said it added the vbk to it's backup list before saying it wrote zero files or directories. Strange right? there must be some sort of explanation that I'm just overlooking.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Do you offload incremental backups as well? What backup mode does your source job use?

P.S. I will split this topic since we are now discussing another problem.
choldings
Enthusiast

Re: Backup to tape job (nothing to backup)

Post by choldings »

Yes we do. I think you just pointed me in the right direction. We had another person managing these jobs recently and it looks like they changed the backup mode to be Incremental with synthetics enabled and an active full scheduled.

Our normal jobs do Incremental with ONLY an active full scheduled. Looks like someone forgot to uncheck the synthetic option. Do you think that this may have caused the behavior we are seeing?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Ok, but can you confirm that the corresponding checkbox to offload increments in the backup to tape job is enabled? This is the only reason I can think of right now...
choldings
Enthusiast

Post by choldings »

"Process Incremental backup files" is checked.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hmm...then I would suggest letting our support staff verify the setup and job logs. Can you please open the case on this?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

I'm wondering whether you're using patch#3, as most of these issues has been fixed there. Thanks.