Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
rostantc
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Chris Rostant

Replication Planning

Post by rostantc »

Hey guys, I'm in the early stages of architecting replication to a secondary site using VEEAM and I wanted to clear up a few things before I got too deep.

First I'm fairly certain from my research that I am going to need to have a backup proxy stood up at each site for the replication job, also I will need ports 2500-500 open between them.

We are running vsphere 5.5U1 Enterprise Plus and VEEAM 7 Patch3 Enterprise Plus, just so you know our software build. What I'm trying to find out for sure is, should I separate the replication jobs on to dedication replication Proxy servers? or should/can I use the existing backup servers.

To get an idea of the load we are replicating about 12 -14 VM's approximately 500 GB to 2 TB in size. I will be setting up a Virtual Lab and SureBackup Jobs for testing as well.

I'm not sure if there are any other considerations I'm missing
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Replication Planning

Post by foggy »

Chris, you're correct assuming that you need proxies in both locations for better replication performance. There's no such a requirement to use a dedicated proxy for replication, each proxy can perform both backup and replication tasks.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Make sure that given proxy servers are capable of handling required number of simultaneous tasks. Otherwise, either replication or backup jobs would sit and wait for available slot. Thanks.
nefes
Veeam Software
Liked: 162 times
Full Name: Nikita Efes

Post by nefes »

According to SureBackup jobs: make sure your Backup Console is placed in the same site with the hosts you planning to use for SureBackup.
Otherwise Backup Console won't be able to make ping and script tests without manual tuning of routing rules.