Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
tsmith_co
VeeaMVP
Liked: 41 times
Full Name: Tim Smith

VSAN and lab use

Post by tsmith_co »

Hi Veeam team,

I know that VSAN is not supported since it is in beta, etc.

But, I was wondering if there is anyway to allow Veeam to backup VMs (unsupported) residing on my VSAN cluster for lab use. It's use is a home lab / testing ( quite popular use of VSAN right now). I miss using Veeam to backup my lab :(

Obviously, I know any way to enable to completely unsupported, and in no way would I receive support for a problem :)

Thanks!
Tim Smith
https://tsmith.co
@tsmith_co
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: VSAN and lab use

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Tim,

I'm not aware of any way (even unsupported ;) ) to enable this functionality in the current release.

Thanks!
davedunaway
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: David Dunaway

Post by davedunaway »

I would also like to know if and when this is possible.
Also testing VMware VSAN in my lab and would like the ability to use Veeam to back it up.

-David
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

David, it will be possible to backup VMs from vSAN once this functionality is officially released.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Here is the snipped from the weekly forum digest 4 days ago that you did not get because you have registered on the forums a few days later ;)
gostev wrote: I've been getting some questions regarding VMware vSAN support. Indeed, it was possible to perform backups with B&R versions prior to v7 in certain processing modes, as those versions were released before vSAN beta became available. However, you may note that v7 has this capability disabled. Our testing has uncovered a number of issues (not immediately obvious) that we need to address before claiming full vSAN support. Also, we need to "teach" our intelligent load-balancing to work optimally with vSAN. Most work is already done on our side, so we are just waiting for vSAN to be officially released. We do not want to waste time chasing the ever changing beta code (by the way, it was recently updated), or deal with possible data corruptions in the pre-release code.
palmtown
Novice
Full Name: Lewis Harris

Post by palmtown »

Hello,

Any update on supporting vSAN? Does it work, however, without support or does it flat out not work?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Anton's reply above is still applicable.
palmtown
Novice

Post by palmtown »

Hello there,

Just checking in to see if there's any update on this? Unfortunately, the only solution that works for vSAN is VDP and it doesn't work very well.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Lewis, as far as I know, Virtual SAN is still in beta stage, so nothing has changed since the Anton's post above. Thanks.
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 » 1 person likes this post

Lewis, I never tested VSAN yet, but if it's in beta, how can VDP support it?
If you mean "it works", well I would say any backup solution using hotadd could work, since it only sees a datastore with a VM inside. So, even if (repeated again) is totally UNSUPPORTED, also Veeam in HotAdd mode should work.

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
davedunaway
Lurker
Full Name: David Dunaway

Post by davedunaway »

Luca,

I'm not sure what you mean by "hot add mode" but what we are complaining about here is that Veeam will not even attempt to backup a VM that resides on a VSAN datastore.
Of course we are asking for a totally unsupported solution here. it would just be nice to run Veeam on top of VSAN in an "unsupported" mode.

David
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

davedunaway wrote:I'm not sure what you mean by "hot add mode"
Hotadd (aka Virtual Appliance mode) is a transport mode used by Veeam B&R proxy server to retrieve VM data from the source datastore by directly attaching its disks to itself.
palmtown
Novice

Post by palmtown »

Hello,

vSAN GA was released, any update when Veeam will support it?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Hi, Lewis, please take a look at the adjacent thread. The answer provided there by Alexander should answer your question. Thanks.
palmtown
Novice

Post by palmtown »

Hey V.Eremin,

Thanks for the update, I see it should be ready in about 2 months :)
LukeAd
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Luke Admin

[MERGED] VSAN support

Post by LukeAd »

I've read the following posts (http://forums.veeam.com/vmware-vsphere- ... 19841.html and http://forums.veeam.com/vmware-vsphere- ... 20997.html) which say VSAN backup support should be available soon. We've got some critical licensing decisions and HW purchase decisions to make in the next couple of weeks and I'm currently having to look at dropping Veeam for VDPA to get guaranteed support for VSAN backups. I really don't want to do this as we don't actually need to implement Veeam backup for VSAN for another month or so (though we need to make the purchasing decisions in the next two weeks).

I just wanted to see if support for VSAN backups is still "on track" and if we can still expect to see it released in the next few weeks (as speculated a couple of months ago in the linked threads).
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Yes, we're working on delivering vSAN support in the upcoming Patch #4 later this month.
LukeAd
Enthusiast

Post by LukeAd »

Excellent...thank you for the update.

Do you know if there will be any notable limitations in the initial VSAN support in Patch #4?

Also, one of our backup targets is a local Data Domain 640 which then replicates to another offsite DD640 for DR. When we were looking at possibly having to switch to using VDPA, we found out that VDPA requires you to license Data Domain Boost (DDBoost) on the DD640. Will Veeam have a similar requirement when VSAN support is added (it doesn't currently)?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

I don't currently have any relevant information regarding vSAN support. I will try to check though whether there are any details we can share.
LukeAd
Enthusiast

Post by LukeAd »

Foggy, just checking in to see if you had a chance to check yet
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Currently there are no known limitations regarding vSAN support. Please wait for the official announcement for more detailed info. Thanks.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

LukeAd wrote:Also, one of our backup targets is a local Data Domain 640 which then replicates to another offsite DD640 for DR. When we were looking at possibly having to switch to using VDPA, we found out that VDPA requires you to license Data Domain Boost (DDBoost) on the DD640. Will Veeam have a similar requirement when VSAN support is added (it doesn't currently)?
No