Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
martymidwest
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Marty O'Brien

Migration while retaining backups

Post by martymidwest »

Hello,

I have seen some of the posts on here, but haven't found one that supports my very simple (I think) use case:

I am using Hyper-V 2012 replication and want to fail over to a replica OR move a server.

The trick is, I then want my Veeam backups to realize that is the same machine and do incremental backups from where it left off.

I was able to migrate a VM off (replication failover), wipe out the machine, upgrade the storage, rebuild the host from scratch, then migrate it BACK. The backups picked up right where they left off.

Given that experience, I posit that it *must* be possible to simply change the source HOST machine in a config file or something and then have it just keep doing what it's doing, only from a different place. Right?

In the past, when I moved a VM from one machine to another via Hyper-V's "Move" operation, I had to remove the old source and add a new one, causing another full backup of that machine (which I can't afford for multiple machines).

Please, someone tell me that you've found a way to do this!

Thanks,

--Marty
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Migration while retaining backups

Post by foggy »

Marty, Veeam B&R treats the migrated VMs as new ones, that's why full backup is required after using Hyper-V migration (to continue previously created jobs, you could map the jobs to existing backup files, though).

I don't believe it is possible to "simply change the source HOST machine in a config file" somehow, instead of actually migrating VMs (is that what you're asking about?). However, what you could probably do is asking support for assistance in editing Veeam B&R database to reflect the migration so that jobs could continue normally.
martymidwest
Influencer

Post by martymidwest »

foggy wrote: However, what you could probably do is asking support for assistance in editing Veeam B&R database to reflect the migration so that jobs could continue normally.
I had already done that before posting this. The support technician that worked my ticket, unfortunately, didn't believe there was any way to do it. I figured I might have better luck posting on a forum where it might be seen by people who have some ideas how to do it, instead of simply relying on one person's experience.

I'm a firm believer that just because something hasn't been done before doesn't mean that it is impossible. This theory is based on another theory that anything is possible depending on how badly you want it.

Since we don't have the space or time to create new full backups every time we move a VM, I figured other people might have had the same requirements/experience and would be willing to contribute to a solution. I certainly am.

In the meantime, we are performing backups from our replicas (provided by Hyper-V, not Veeam), which all reside on a single machine. This appears to be a good workaround as we can move machines among the source machines, but the replicas always stay in the same place. We only seem to have minor issues with resource locking, etc. that clear themselves up on a retry. Better than before, but still not exactly ideal.

If anyone wants to take a crack at this with me, please let me know.

Thanks,

--martymidwest
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

martymidwest wrote:I had already done that before posting this. The support technician that worked my ticket, unfortunately, didn't believe there was any way to do it.
What is your support case number? I would like to double-check on that.
martymidwest
Influencer

Post by martymidwest »

Case # 00567640
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Thanks, support says they have never tried that for Hyper-V (though did several times for VMware) since there were no such requests. However, I suppose, this should be possible.