Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
shamamibabz
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: smekisk habieu

HELP: with basic information about veeam basic test setup

Post by shamamibabz »

Hello there

I'm very new to veeam, i would like to know some very basic information about a test setup. i am about to make little test Environment for learning and gain experience about veeam and clustering setup.

I have 2 Hyper-V Host win 2012 r2 both have 5 VMs and those 2 hosts are in a failover cluster. they have a NAS server as shared storage. but i want also redundant backup to another NAS incase my NAS which is carrying all my VMs.
while i have my NAS server 1, i want replicate the VMs to NAS Server 2

my question is: can i use the laptop(with windows server 2012) on the picture as proxy server and veeam server? :?:
another question, is there any guides how to setup a proxy server?
in Veeam i have to target a repository in my case would that be my NAS server? :oops:

i would be really thankful if someone could help me out.
Thanks in advance
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: HELP: with basic information about veeam basic test setu

Post by veremin »

my question is: can i use the laptop(with windows server 2012) on the picture as proxy server and veeam server?
Yes, you can. Though the role of on-host proxy will be assigned to the HV hosts added to backup console.
another question, is there any guides how to setup a proxy server?
As mentioned, the role of on-host proxy will be played by underlying HV host.
in Veeam i have to target a repository in my case would that be my NAS server?
Yes, you can use the said device as the target for backup jobs.

Anyway, I recommend you reviewing corresponding User Guide; it should give extensive answers to all of your questions.

Thanks.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

shamamibabz wrote:my question is: can i use the laptop(with windows server 2012) on the picture as proxy server and veeam server?
Actually I would not recommend doing this due to performance and reliability considerations. In order to install proxy server on the laptop, you would have to present CSV volumes to your laptop and install either hardware VSS provider (not sure you have these for NAS boxes) or use CSV VSS provider.

Given that you don't have many VMs to backup, I would recommend proceeding with on-host proxy servers.

BTW, what kind of NAS is this? If it has iSCSI you can mount this box to the backup server and create local repository pointing to the local volume. Alternatively, you can add this NAS box as a CIFS repository and point your backup jobs to this location.
shamamibabz
Novice

Post by shamamibabz »

Thanks eremit for the answers.
Vitaliy my nas is 2x qnap nas ts 469 turbo nas pro. My virtuel machines is right now on nas server 1 on the drawing in my first post. I want to replicate them to nas server 2.

So I can add nas server 2 as repository as backup location and it will replicate the storage from nas 1 to nas 2 ?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

Yes, you can add the second NAS as a backup repository, however Veeam B&R will not "replicate the storage", it will backup the VMs you select in the backup job that will target this backup repository.
shamamibabz
Novice

Post by shamamibabz »

okay when you say it will not "replicate the storage" does that mean it ---> it is not replicate the vhd files?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

There are two kinds of jobs basically: backup jobs (that create compressed and deduped backup files containing VM data on the target repository) and replication jobs (that create complete ready-to-start replicas of the original VMs registered on the target Hyper-V host). Depending on what do you want to achieve (and what are your RPO/RTO requirements), you can go either way and set up your second NAS appropriately.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Usually we recommend doing backups for VMs with longer retention period (archival purposes), and run replication jobs for VMs that require low RTO, but as Alexander has pointed out - the setup depends on your RPO/RTO requirements.
shamamibabz
Novice

Post by shamamibabz »

Which one of these option should I be using if I use iscsi on nas server they are using both nfs and cifs.http://helpcenter.veeam.com/backup/70/hyperv/

And can I use iscsi initiator for to connect my backup nas server and link it the disk drive e.g. J: which is the disk drive from my nas server? http://helpcenter.veeam.com/backup/70/hyperv/
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. » 1 person likes this post

If your NAS device that you're going to use as destination target for your backups supports iSCSI, I would recommend to mount it to your backup server and create an NTFS formatted volume and then use this volume as a repository.
shamamibabz
Novice

Post by shamamibabz »

Thanks Vitaliy it worked, i used iscsi initiator to connect nas server to my backup server and formatted the disk as you said.

but right now i got into a issue when i setup everything and i want to setup a backup jobs i can only see my Cluster node 1 and node 2. but i cannot see the Virtual machine under it.

so i closed the wizard and went to "Virtual machines" and then i expanded volumes---> my cluster ip---> one of my node and when i click my C: drive i got an error message saying : "Failed to execute WMI query, failed to enumrate VMs on host "node1" invaild class". i wanted to do do this to see if i could see the virtual machines

have i forgotten something through the installation or does it have SQL server?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Just to make sure we are on the same page - you don't see any VMs when creating backup jobs, do you? What version of Veeam B&R are you running? Is it v7R2?
shamamibabz
Novice

Post by shamamibabz »

Yes i do not see any VM's weither on Virtual machines menu or when i am about to create a backup job.

i am running version 70.0.690 but there is no R2 anywhere. i mean it cannot be so old i just download like 19 days ago this version from Veeam.com.
there is a newer version? because i am sure i downloaded the newest version
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

Product updates are downloaded separately.
shamamibabz
Novice

Post by shamamibabz »

Thanks Alexander :)
shamamibabz
Novice

Post by shamamibabz »

Getting this Error when i run my backup job.
http://tinypic.com/r/27y6gid/8
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Please contact technical support directly as it is advised when you have any kind of technical issue. Thanks.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Also, it might be worth checking Windows event logs on the Hyper-V host server and seeing whether you experience similar issues. Thanks.