Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
Kynaeus
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Greg H

Veeam Free won't detect any VMs on standalone HyperV host

Post by Kynaeus »

Hi folks.

I'm using the most up to date version of the Free edition, 7.0.0.690 so that I can VeeamZip the VMs running on the Hyper-V host, which is standalone and the host OS is Server 2012r2 datacenter.

I installed successfully and can successfully add both the VM and the HV host, but they only appear under the 'files' section so I can browse the filesystem. If I look under 'virtual machines' where you'd actually back up the VM nothing is detected. Running a rescan on the HV host is successful at scanning the drives and volumes but still, no VMs appear.

I can't seem to locate anyone else having the same issue and I've looked the documentation and it seems extremely straightforward, as the banner for this forum suggests 'it just works' but that is not the situation I'm seeing here. I assume since no one else is having the same issue & the documentation says nothing about this that I'm doing something silly or missing something obvious here - any ideas? :?:
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6702 times

Re: Veeam Free won't detect any VMs on standalone HyperV hos

Post by Gostev »

Hi, you are attempting to use a product version that was released well before Hyper-V 2012 R2 was made available, so of course it does not support that. Bring Veeam up to the current patch level, and you will see "it just works" indeed :)
Kynaeus
Lurker
Full Name: Greg H

Post by Kynaeus »

This IS the newest version of the free version, so I assume you mean it'll work if I upgrade to a free trial of the paid version or purchase a license for it?

Would the same thing be true of Veeam One Free (v7.0.0.876)?

Edit: Hmm, that does seem to be the case for both of them. Thanks for the help!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6702 times

Post by Gostev »

Kynaeus wrote:This IS the newest version of the free version
No, it's not. 7.0.0.690 you are using will soon be 1 year old. The newest version is 7.0.0.871 (Patch #4) released earlier this month.
bkan279
Lurker
Full Name: Bryan Kanouse

Post by bkan279 »

Thanks Gostev, I downloaded what I assumed would be the latest version but Server 2012 R2 did require path #4 before detecting my test VM. Just throwing that out there for anyone else that runs across this.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Yes, actually Windows Server 2012 R2 support was implemented in Veeam B&R R2 update (aka patch #2), but since it is superseded by the following patches, you can just install the latest one. Thanks.