Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
jamerson
Veteran
Liked: 24 times
Full Name: Julien

can't backup Win8/win7

Post by jamerson »

hi guys
i know the reason of this problem why veeam doens't backup Win8/Win7,
the issues is the C$ not available on both machines.
any suggestions to force Veeam to backup the VMs up ?
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Re: can't backup Win8/win7

Post by tsightler »

Veeam can backup Windows 7 or 8 VMs just fine, heck, Veeam can even be installed on those operating systems. If you're having trouble getting the VMs to backup then what specifically is the error you are getting? Since you mentioned C$ shares I have a guess it's something to do with AAIP/VSS but I don't want to go down that path until I understand specifically what you are seeing.
jamerson
Veteran

Post by jamerson »

tsightler wrote:Veeam can backup Windows 7 or 8 VMs just fine, heck, Veeam can even be installed on those operating systems. If you're having trouble getting the VMs to backup then what specifically is the error you are getting? Since you mentioned C$ shares I have a guess it's something to do with AAIP/VSS but I don't want to go down that path until I understand specifically what you are seeing.
Thank you sir for your answer,
the error i am recieving is the :

Code: Select all

6/28/2014 11:32:55 PM :: Processing 'Win 8.1' Error: Failed to connect to guest agent. Errors:
'Cannot connect to the host's administrative share. Host:  [192.168.3.10]. Account: [].
Win32 error:The network path was not found.
 Code: 53
Cannot connect to the host's administrative share. Host:  [fe80::42b:aade:abe:8bff]. Account: [].
Win32 error:The network path was not found.
 Code: 53
'

Fixed :
People with the same error !
check your firewall rules if it allows the connections between the backup server and the client machine !

thank you so much
jamerson
Veteran

Post by jamerson »

i was looking on the wrong vCenter ,
the error i am getting is the next :

Processing 'VM1' Error: Client error: VDDK error: 6473963119050753.Unknown error Exception from server: VDDK error: 6473963119050753.Unknown error Unable to retrieve next block transmission command. Number of already processed blocks: [3232]. Failed to perform data backup. 

Guest processing skipped (check VMware Tools status)
Error: Client error: VDDK error: 6473963119050753.Unknown error Exception from server: VDDK error: 6473963119050753.Unknown error Unable to retrieve next block transmission command. Number of already processed blocks: [3232]. Failed to perform data backup.
any suggestions why ?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Julien, with every technical issue it is always more effective to communicate with support directly.

Btw, here's the topic regarding "next block transmission" error, might be helpful.
jamerson
Veteran

Post by jamerson »

foggy wrote:Julien, with every technical issue it is always more effective to communicate with support directly.

Btw, here's the topic regarding "next block transmission" error, might be helpful.
Thank you sir,
this is not on a production, but on a Lab, that why i didn't contact the technical.
just wanna know what is the reason, to add to my knowlidge.
unstable connection is not because both server and clients are on 10GB, and no down connection all been tested.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

While all possible reasons are outlined in the mentioned topic, the actual reason can only be defined after reviewing the logs.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

just wanna know what is the reason, to add to my knowlidge.
As mentioned in the referenced thread, if the number of processed blocks keeps being the same, then, the problem might be a corruption of source .vmdk. As a workaround, you can try to clone the given VM, run off the clone, and see whether the issue shows up again or not.

Thanks.