Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Backup & Replication, VMware vSphere and Microsoft Hyper-V in a single System Center Operations Manager Console
MartinH
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Martin Hodgson

Virtual Machines: Idle VM's

Post by MartinH »

Hi,

I have a question with a VEEAM Vmware analysis report. We are trying to collect a report on Virtual machines - Idle VM's. I thought this report
would be the best to understand if we have VM's that are idle and we can remove. When I run the report I get "no data available - relevant data can not
be found. Sorry. Please adjust your parameters". I've checked that System Center is collecting CPU idle Pct as a metric for VM's - so I know the data is there -
just unsure why the report can't pull that data. Any help gratefully recieved. Thanks,
sergey.g
Veteran
Liked: 76 times
Full Name: Sergey Goncharenko

Re: Virtual Machines: Idle VM's

Post by sergey.g » 1 person likes this post

Hi Martin,

Make sure SCOM is collecting data for some time, because Data Warehouse will do the aggregation after a couple of hours and then days depending on level of aggregation.

I'm pretty much sure this report doesn't need Idle Pct, it uses CPU usage for Idle VMs calculation. Could you check that you are collecting usedPct for your VMs? Also you can try to set '0' as a parameter for other performance metric - in this case the report won't calculate them and we can isolate the issue to a specific metric which is not being collected in your environment. Also check that you have correct thresholds for CPU usage (this is a threshold to consider a VM Idle if usage is below this value for the specified amount of time)

Thanks.
MartinH
Novice

Post by MartinH »

Hi Sergey,

Thanks for the reply. I know we are collecting usedPct, and have been for a number of months - so that's good. I went through and set 0 for every other metric. I also varied the theshold for CPU - still No Data Available came back. Instead of the Virtual Machine Group - I selected an individual VM to check whether the same message came back and it did. Any other ideas greatfully recieved.

Thanks, Martin.
Yan Skoursky
Novice

Post by Yan Skoursky »

Hi Martin,

Let's check if "Virtual Machines. CPU Performance History" report under "Veeam Vmware Performance History reports" folder can show you some data for cpuUsageMhz counter for the same period you used for Idle VM's.

If report is also empty I think it's time to create support case.

Regards,
Yan
MartinH
Novice

Post by MartinH »

Hi Yan,

Thanks for the reply.

In Virtual Machines. CPU Performance History I don't see cpuUsage Mhz as a counter - i see cpu\%Processor Time, cpu\cpuIdlepct, and cpu\cpuUsedpct.

Martin.
Yan Skoursky
Novice

Post by Yan Skoursky »

Hi Martin,

During the research it turned out some counters needed for the report were missing due to disabled collection rules.

Regards,
Yan