Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
szwicker
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Seth Zwicker

Please advise on this error

Post by szwicker »

Creating snapshot VSSFreezer: -2147217389 Backup job failed. Cannot create a shadow copy of the volumes containing writer's data. Cannot prepare the [NTDS] data to a subsequent restore operation. Cannot process NTDS data. Cannot create a backup copy of the BCD. Cannot get [BcdStore] object. COM error: Code: 0x80041013
TrevorBell
Veteran
Liked: 17 times
Full Name: Trevor Bell

Re: Please advise on this error

Post by TrevorBell »

Have you got enough free space on the drive that is being backed up ?

As i get the error below when i try and backup a drive with less than 300mb free...

Creating snapshot
VSSFreezer: -2147467259 Backup job failed.
Cannot create a shadow copy of the volumes containing writer's data.
VSS asynchronous operation is not completed. Operation: [Shadow copies commit]. Code: [0x8004231f].
szwicker
Service Provider

Post by szwicker »

Do you mean source on the destination where I'm copying it to or in the VM itself?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Seth,

Sounds like source VM has some VSS framework issue. Try running the following two commands in the VM and see if output contains any errors:

Code: Select all

vssadmin list writers
vssadmin list providers
Also, could you please check whether you see any errors in Event Log on that VM?

Thank you!
szwicker
Service Provider

Post by szwicker »

No errors. Every writer came back clean and the provider showed the standard MS Shadow Copy provider.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Seth,

That's weird, do you see any errors in the application Event log with such an ID: 0x80041013? I've just googled for this error and it seems like there is an issue with the provider load. Please refer to our technical support team for assistance, and we will be able to investigate this issue more deeply.

Thank you!
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1401 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Post by Andreas Neufert »

Hi,

at one of my customer this was because of not enough disk space for VSS processing.

Andy
samuk
Expert
Liked: never
Full Name: Sam

Post by samuk »

restarting the vss service worked for me...
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1401 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Post by Andreas Neufert »

THX for sharing
v.tom
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Tom

Post by v.tom »

We are getting the same errors:

Processing 'FS01' Error: VSSControl: -2147467259 Backup job failed. Cannot create a shadow copy of the volumes containing writer's data. VSS asynchronous operation is not completed. Operation: [Shadow copies commit]. Code: [0x8004231f].

Failed to prepare guest for hot backup. Error: VSSControl: -2147467259 Backup job failed. Cannot create a shadow copy of the volumes containing writer's data. VSS asynchronous operation is not completed. Operation: [Shadow copies commit]. Code: [0x8004231f].
Error: VSSControl: -2147467259 Backup job failed. Cannot create a shadow copy of the volumes containing writer's data. VSS asynchronous operation is not completed. Operation: [Shadow copies commit]. Code: [0x8004231f].

We have tried all the solutions stated in the KB (http://www.veeam.com/kb1794), but it won't work.

The guest OS is Windows 2012.

Does someone have any suggestions how to solve this?
VMCE certified
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

What is the state of VSS writers? Do you have any messages in the application Even log? Have you tried to restart VSS service? Thanks.
v.tom
Enthusiast

Post by v.tom »

Before the backup all the states of the VSS writers are OK. After the failed backup of Veeam the writers are in error state. We have tried VSS restart and reboot of the server.

The following error appears in the event log:

VMCE certified
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Quick search suggests that typical reason of the mentioned error is lack of free space. Are you positive you're positive that a VM in question isn't deprived of it? Thanks.
v.tom
Enthusiast

Post by v.tom »

Yes, we also have manually made a shadow copy from within Windows on each drive, as stated in the KB article, and that works just fine.

I'm puzzled :)
VMCE certified
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Seems like a time to open a ticket with our support team, as it's rather hard to find the root cause through the forum correspondence without seeing actual logs and infrastructure. Thanks.
v.tom
Enthusiast

Post by v.tom »

That won't work. I'm running on a NFR in my home lab :)

But thanks anyway for the help.
VMCE certified
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Actually, according to our policy, customers with Free or NFR license are still eligible for support. The answer will be provided based on support availability, though. Anyway, feel free to contact them. Thanks.
troymt
Lurker
Liked: 4 times

Post by troymt » 4 people like this post

Registered just to post my fix for this issue.

It was a Bytes per sector value issue for the destination drive. My OS was at 512 and the destination was at 4096. Reformatting my destination drive to 512 did the trick.

run fsutil fsinfo ntfsinfo <volume on usb drive> ( Example: C:\> fsutil fsinfo ntfsinfo E: ) to find out.

Hope this helps
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Thank you very much for registering just to do this!
raugustine
Influencer
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Ryan Augustine

Post by raugustine »

I was also getting the error "Failed to prepare guest for hot backup. Details: VSSControl: -2147467259 Backup job failed. Cannot create a shadow copy of the volumes containing writer's data. VSS asynchronous operation is not completed. Operation: [Shadow copies commit]. Code: [0x8004231f]." on some of my servers, and wanted to post my resolution for anyone else who is having VSS issues. It ended up that the it was a space issue on the System Reserved partition. The servers that were failing were all under 20 MB free on that partition. Using disk manager, I assigned Z: as a drive letter to the System reserved partition, and from https://www.veeam.com/kb1794 and https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/lib ... 88051.aspx, I ran the command "vssadmin add shadowstorage /for=z: /on=c: /maxsize=unbounded". This moved the shadow copy storage off of the System Reserved partition and onto the C drive. I then removed the Z: mapping from that partition and I was then able to run a backup with no VSS errors. Hope this helps.