Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
JBR
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Jürgen

Replication Exchange Server

Post by JBR »

Hello,

i have setup a replication of my ExchangeServer (EX2000/W2K Server) an this runs
every 12hours.
Can I assume that this replication is running smoothly and can be startet when my
ExchangeServer is falling down?

Thanks for help
JBR
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Replication Exchange Server

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Jurgen,

Actually if you're replicating to another site you can perform a failover to that replicated VM to see that all Exchange services are up and running.

However, as you're using Windows 2000 server, Microsoft VSS is missing, and the only option to have transactional consistent backups/replicas is to use VMware Tools Quiescence or pre-freeze and post-thaw scripts. In fact, there were cases where VMware Tools Quiescence wasn't able to provide crash-consistent backups/replicas, for more information please have a look at this useful thread: Transactionally Consistent Backups

Generally, I would definitely recommend you to upgrade your Exchange box at least to Windows Server 2003 which has VSS implemenation supported, because Exchange server as well as DC are not the types of applications that tolerate crash-consistent states well, which might happen while using VMware Tools Quiescence.

Thank you!
JBR
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Jürgen

Post by JBR »

@ Vitaliy

Thanks for yout hint!
Where can i find the "Quiescence" ?
VMWare Tools are installed at all VMs!

Thanks
JBR
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

It is enabled by default. You can find it on Advanced job settings dialog (Backup Destination step).