Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
michal_k
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: michal K

dell PV-124t

Post by michal_k »

hello,

has anyone had any luck using this drive? (lto4-120-0). No matter what driver combination I use, it doesn't look like compression is working. its writing only around 700gb per tape.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: dell PV-124t

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Michal,
Welcome to the Veeam forums!

I wonder what you are using as a backup source: files in File to tape job or backups in Backup to tape job. In case you are writing backups to tape previously created by VBR, please, check you backup to disk job compression level, even with the default compression level set up in an original backup to disk job the hardware compression would give you zero compression ratio due the fact that backup was already compressed on the software level. Thank you.
michal_k
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: michal K

Post by michal_k »

well, I am set up vm to disk (storage compression level dedupe-friendly) and from there to tape for full backups.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Yes, that’s why your library compression does give you 1 to 1 compression. You can use either compression inside backup to disk or have hardware compression enabled in the backup to tape job.

If you want – you can run a test backup job with disabled software compression and then use backup to tape with enabled hardware compression, just to understand what suites you needs.