Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
crichardson
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Corey

Backing up AIX to disk and then use Veeam to send to tape

Post by crichardson »

We've been using Veeam for 3 years for replication (and backup) but we always used HP Data Protector as a secondary backup solution because we have to send our backups to tape. A few months ago I made the switch to use only Veeam since it introduced tape support in version 7. It's not perfect, but it's pretty good for a first release.

However we still utilize HP Data Protector to backup a few physical servers to tape. One of these servers is our ERP software running on AIX. In Q4 we will be implementing a brand new Power8 server running AIX 7.1. Our current version of HPDP is 6.11. I don't think it supports AIX 7.1. Our support has expired for HPDP and I'd rather not renew it. I did a little research on HPDP 8 and people are stating to stay away from it.

So, with all that said, what should I do? I'm no AIX expert. In fact, I don't manage the AIX server at all but I need to make sure it's protected. Are there any AIX experts that can recommend a backup solution which I could backup to disk and then use Veeam's tape support to backup the file(s) to tape?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Backing up AIX to disk and then use Veeam to send to tap

Post by Dima P. »

Corey,

I am sure this question has an answer at IBM communities. The goal for now is to find a tool (possibly built in tool?) which can create AIX backup, then create a simple file to tape job in Veeam B&R, point job to the folder containing these backup files and sync the schedule for AIX backup and file to tape job.