Backing up AIX to disk and then use Veeam to send to tape

Everything about backing up to tape

Backing up AIX to disk and then use Veeam to send to tape

Veeam Logoby crichardson » Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:14 am

We've been using Veeam for 3 years for replication (and backup) but we always used HP Data Protector as a secondary backup solution because we have to send our backups to tape. A few months ago I made the switch to use only Veeam since it introduced tape support in version 7. It's not perfect, but it's pretty good for a first release.

However we still utilize HP Data Protector to backup a few physical servers to tape. One of these servers is our ERP software running on AIX. In Q4 we will be implementing a brand new Power8 server running AIX 7.1. Our current version of HPDP is 6.11. I don't think it supports AIX 7.1. Our support has expired for HPDP and I'd rather not renew it. I did a little research on HPDP 8 and people are stating to stay away from it.

So, with all that said, what should I do? I'm no AIX expert. In fact, I don't manage the AIX server at all but I need to make sure it's protected. Are there any AIX experts that can recommend a backup solution which I could backup to disk and then use Veeam's tape support to backup the file(s) to tape?
crichardson
Enthusiast

Liked: never
Full Name: Corey

Re: Backing up AIX to disk and then use Veeam to send to tap

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:53 pm

Corey,

I am sure this question has an answer at IBM communities. The goal for now is to find a tool (possibly built in tool?) which can create AIX backup, then create a simple file to tape job in Veeam B&R, point job to the folder containing these backup files and sync the schedule for AIX backup and file to tape job.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Liked: 441 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Return to Tape