Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
lp@albersdruck.de
Enthusiast
Liked: 33 times
Full Name: Lars Pisanec

Veeam Endpoint Backup Free

Post by lp@albersdruck.de »

Veeam Endpoint Backup Free

November can't come soon enough.
Before this announcement I did not know that I want something like that.

I do have some questions though:
  • will the beta test in November be a public beta test? If not, I'd like to participate :D
  • does it integrate with other Veeam products like One, B&R or Enterprise Manager?
  • will there be a Veeam Endpoint Backup "Enterprise" sometime in the future with more features (not that I am missing a feature from what I read so far)?
  • will B&R be able to interact (read/restore files) with backups created by Veeam Endpoint Backup Free?
  • why only now and not earlier? :lol:
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Veeam Endpoint Backup Free

Post by Dima P. » 1 person likes this post

Hello Lars,
Thank you for your interest in Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE!
will the beta test in November be a public beta test.
That’s the plan.
does it integrate with other Veeam products like One, B&R or Enterprise Manager... will B&R be able to interact (read/restore files) with backups created by Veeam Endpoint Backup Free?
From an integration perspective, Endpoint Backup FREE can use B&R backup repository as a backup target. You will also see all incoming endpoint backup "jobs" directly in the B&R console in this case. And yes, it uses B&R backup files format, so B&R is able to interact with those as well.
will there be a Veeam Endpoint Backup "Enterprise" sometime in the future with more features (not that I am missing a feature from what I read so far)?
Endpoint Backup FREE is designed to be an easy to use desktop and laptop backup solution for IT Pros like me and you. We have no plans to extend this product into an enterprise class endpoint backup solution.
why only now and not earlier?
"Now is the right time" :wink:
Cragdoo
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 251 times
Full Name: Craig Dalrymple

Post by Cragdoo »

Can Endpoint be setup to use a Veeam Cloud Connect repository ?
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Yes. Endpoint Backup can use Veeam repository as a backup target, so yes then it’s possible to transfer backups into Cloud Repository, thru the main VBR server.
frankive
Service Provider
Liked: 134 times
Full Name: Frank Iversen

Veeam Backup Free (Please move the topic?)

Post by frankive »

Just one questions related to Veeam Backup Free:
The blog post says it can backup to Veeam Repository. Will this be a local repository or could it be realted to the new possibilites in V8 where you can upload to a Cloud Basesd Veeam Repository through SSL?

We have been looking for a solution for out customer for this. For larger companies we have site-2-site which will work fine with a "local" veeam repository but for standalone (laptop) we really could benefit of a gatewaybased Veeam Repository.

Just wondering :)
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Frank,
Yes, it should apply to your scenario. Thank you for your interest in the product, to keep fingers on the pulse, please, sign in at http://go.veeam.com/endpoint for the public beta. Cheers!
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

Dima,
I think the request for "Cloud Connect support" as it's asked, means more the possibility to register a service provider directly into VEB and send backups directly over the internet to a Cloud Repository. A "backup repository" can be registered into VEB, not sure a Cloud Repository.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
morrie_morrie
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Andrew Morison

Post by morrie_morrie »

Hi all,

I know it was stated again in this thread, concerning it's use for Desktops and Laptops. However in the Announcing page: http://www.veeam.com/blog/announcing-ve ... -free.html, it states Windows based machines and even goes as far as saying Windows 2008 Server and higher.

As many who use Veeam, we have Physical servers which can't be virtuallised and we are then forced to use and alternate backup program for those servers.

This looks to me like a way in which to back those servers up.
These, like the article says, are not Enterprise customers (50k+), these are Small Business customers of only a couple of servers.

Am I current right to say that Windows Servers (2008+) will be "Supported"?

Andrew Morison
Techno Group.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Hi, Andrew. Please read comments to the blog post you have referenced - I have already answered similar question there. Thanks!
tinto1970
Expert
Liked: 32 times
Full Name: Alessandro T.

Post by tinto1970 »

great, i can't wait to test it! Already signed up for the public beta.
Alessandro aka Tinto | VMCE 2024 | Veeam Legend | VCP-DCV 2023 | VVSPHT2023 | vExpert 2024
blog.tinivelli.com
PHBG
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Petar Havezov

Post by PHBG »

I hope that in the future Veeam will fill the vacuum in the virtual world. Now Veeam is able to backup only VMs who have snapshot capability, but this is not all vmware (maybe hyper-v) configuration. What about VMs with phsycial RDM or SCSI Bus Sharing configuration?
We have around 8 Oracle RAC Clusters, and 10 Microsoft Failover Clusters with RDM disk (on different host). These VMs are top business critical for our company and Veeam do not support them. Even not able to backup operating system.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Petar,

Endpoint Backup is a standalone backup tool that would allow end-users to back up and restore their desktops and laptops, so it is not considered to be an enterprise solution. Thank you for your input and interest in the product, all your comments are carefully noted and will be discussed with the team.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

PHBG wrote:What about VMs with phsycial RDM or SCSI Bus Sharing configuration?
These are legacy configurations from the past century that should not exist in modern data center going into 2015. Moreover, current hypervisors provide you with the ability to avoid the need for using such configurations. Remember that until your VM storage is virtualized, you are only half way on your virtualization journey anyway, as lack of storage virtualization breaks good half of all benefits virtualization brings.
luckyinfil
Enthusiast
Liked: 10 times

[MERGED] : Veeam endpoint backup

Post by luckyinfil »

I just recently read about the release of Veeam endpoint backup which allows for backing up physical "workstations", which to me signifies a significant change in the mindset that "all servers will eventually become virtual one day". Are there any plans to turn this into an agent which would then integrate with Veeam B&R for those customers that want to backup physical servers? I think that most people using Veeam today are stuck using another solution to backup their physical servers so it would be a huge lifechanger if Veeam was then able to backup physical servers as well. This would allow a companies to use a single backup solution across the board and potentially reduce their costs (even if they had to pay extra for backing up physicals).
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. » 1 person likes this post

luckyinfil,
Mind me quoting recent press release a little bit, to answer your question:

"With Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE, IT professionals now have a simple solution for backing up endpoints, which has long been a major data protection headache,” said Ratmir Timashev, CEO of Veeam. “Veeam believes that modern data centers should be fully virtualized, but we also recognize that unlike servers, endpoints will always remain physical, and they need to be backed up as well."
luckyinfil
Enthusiast

Post by luckyinfil » 1 person likes this post

That's a very narrow point of view, and I don't think it's necessarily accurate. While virtualization gives you significant advantages, there are always situations where a physical is still required. For example, servers which utilize high CPU/memory/network/whatever resources which have been proven to be not good candidates of virtualization and consolidation will always remain physical no matter the advancement in virtualization technology.

If you have the means to do it already and there is a demand from the customers, why not simply implement it and charge for it? Regardless of your beliefs, it will not take you much resources to integrate a technology you have working into your B&R product. It just seems like such a no brainer to me - the customer is literally telling you to "shut up and take my money".
luckyinfil
Enthusiast

Post by luckyinfil »

OH, and just to add, VDI is pretty common out there nowadays and will probably be the norm in the future.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev » 2 people like this post

luckyinfil wrote:That's a very narrow point of view, and I don't think it's necessarily accurate. While virtualization gives you significant advantages, there are always situations where a physical is still required. For example, servers which utilize high CPU/memory/network/whatever resources which have been proven to be not good candidates of virtualization and consolidation will always remain physical no matter the advancement in virtualization technology.

If you have the means to do it already and there is a demand from the customers, why not simply implement it and charge for it? Regardless of your beliefs, it will not take you much resources to integrate a technology you have working into your B&R product. It just seems like such a no brainer to me - the customer is literally telling you to "shut up and take my money".
Simply because we like to take a very narrow point of view, especially when we think that this narrow view is the future... and this strategy is exactly what made Veeam the fastest growing backup company in history. We are not trying to be everything to everyone - we prefer to be the best for some. This approach lets us leverage limited resources we possess most optimally.

We were virtual only 7 years ago, when virtual was a niche - but we knew this was the future. Fast forward to 2014, and now physical is the niche - and we are the leader in backup for "new normal", virtual machines! On the other hand, look at those other companies who have tried to cover all bases at once, and are currently enjoying the view of our receding tail lights :D
luckyinfil wrote:OH, and just to add, VDI is pretty common out there nowadays and will probably be the norm in the future.
May be in certain market segments only, because it is extremely uncommon within our customer base, which is not so small these days... we will see what happens in the next 5 years, but the past 5 years of VDI buzz did not really bring this technology any meaningful market share, especially in SMB market. And huge need for "thick endpoint" backup solution only proves this.

Where physical servers will be in a few years from now? Only God knows. Certain promising upcoming virtualization technologies, application stack improvements and newer hardware may very well put the last nail in the coffin of physical servers by addressing all of the concerns you have listed. There is also a small chance that virtualization will end up failing completely, and the industry will recognize that physical servers are must have in 21st century, while cloud is a myth. Either way, having all required technologies in hands - and well polished thanks to our free products (just like FastSCP helped our Backup to achieve its famous reliability), we will be well prepared to quickly react to our customers' demands in changing market conditions.
luckyinfil
Enthusiast

Post by luckyinfil » 3 people like this post

I understand that you want to utilize the limited resources you have in the most efficient way possible, which is why I don't understand why there is a refusal to touch the physical servers. In this situation, you already have the product and technology to backup the physical servers, all that remains is to consolidate it into your existing product so that it can be centrally managed. Now, I'm not going to pretend that I'm an expert in the area of software development, but this doesn't sound like a huge task that requires many resources to me. On the other hand, the benefit of implementing such a change would fullfill a huge customer demand which many are willing (or already) paying for (physical backups).

Furthermore, I didn't say that virtualization would fail completely, in fact, I think that it will be the way of the future. What I do think is that there will always be a need for physical server (for machines that aren't good candidates for consolidation which is a huge advantage of virtualization) which would imply that there will always be a need for physical backups. Why not capture this market as well with minimal effort? Like I mentioned earlier, the technology is already here, it just has to be polished up and sold.
rogerdu
Expert
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: Roger Dufour

Post by rogerdu »

Gostev wrote: These are legacy configurations from the past century that should not exist in modern data center going into 2015. Moreover, current hypervisors provide you with the ability to avoid the need for using such configurations. Remember that until your VM storage is virtualized, you are only half way on your virtualization journey anyway, as lack of storage virtualization breaks good half of all benefits virtualization brings.
While I agree Gostev, most enterprise Oracle DBA's do not, and have been schooled to only trust Oracle products, this the proliferation of Oracle RAC. I agree its limiting, but the point is THEY want it, and since databases ARE mission critical, THEY get to say what th earchitectrure and backup paradigm are. As a backup architect, I have some input, but the final say is theirs, and they are the ones who have to enact any "file" recoveries or disaster recovery scenarios.

I find your inflexibility somewhat comical... Lord knows I had a HELL of a time to get Oracle DBAs to accept that hot backups were a viable technology in the late 90's...
PMB_CTN
Influencer
Liked: 2 times

Post by PMB_CTN »

luckyinfil wrote:I understand that you want to utilize the limited resources you have in the most efficient way possible, which is why I don't understand why there is a refusal to touch the physical servers. In this situation, you already have the product and technology to backup the physical servers, all that remains is to consolidate it into your existing product so that it can be centrally managed. Now, I'm not going to pretend that I'm an expert in the area of software development, but this doesn't sound like a huge task that requires many resources to me. On the other hand, the benefit of implementing such a change would fullfill a huge customer demand which many are willing (or already) paying for (physical backups).

Furthermore, I didn't say that virtualization would fail completely, in fact, I think that it will be the way of the future. What I do think is that there will always be a need for physical server (for machines that aren't good candidates for consolidation which is a huge advantage of virtualization) which would imply that there will always be a need for physical backups. Why not capture this market as well with minimal effort? Like I mentioned earlier, the technology is already here, it just has to be polished up and sold.
+10
drussell
Lurker
Full Name: Dan Russell

Post by drussell »

Hello, I was just curious if there are any updates about a release for the Beta? We are extremely excited to try it out.

Another question would be (Obviously being cautious in production environments with the Beta), but if/when we throw Endpoint Beta on a machine, will it be able to upgrade directly to the "Production" version without the need for an uninstall?

Thank You
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Dan,

We are aiming to release EndPoint beta very soon, so it's not that long to wait. As to upgrading Beta version to RTM code, then based on all Betas we had previously for other products, I can say that you will need to do a fresh installation.

Thanks!
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Dan,
Thank you for your interest in the product! Beta is just around the corner - make sure you have register at sign up to be the FIRST to get it website to participate. Also, first online product demo is going live on next friday, 28th of November, which you may find interesting: Video on Veeam Endpoint Backup Free

Since the Beta is near 90% feature complete and some functionality is disabled for purpose, you would need to complete the fresh install once release version is out. Thank you.
dstewart83161
Lurker
Full Name: Dallas Stewart

Post by dstewart83161 »

How do I signup for the beta? Want to be testing this right now on a few machines...chomping at the bit to see how it works/performs.

Dallas
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

You can register via link above to know all the details of the upcoming beta.
fraack
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Florian Raack

Post by fraack »

Today is the day! Cannot wait to get the download link provided
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Florian, you will have to wait for the download link a bit more, however today you can register for the first online product demo. Thanks.
blodsbror
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Evan Williams

Post by blodsbror »

Hi all!

It's been mentioned that endpoint protection will be able to interact with other Veeam components such as Exchange/MSSQL restore tools. Just so it's clear, does this mean that I can use endpoint protection to backup a physical Exchange 2007 DB cluster running on Server 2008, and restore individual DB's/Mailboxes etc - just as if the cluster was virtual and being backed up by Veeam B&R ?
KevinBeaumont
Influencer
Full Name: Kevin Beaumont

Post by KevinBeaumont »

From the weekly update it should be soon :)

And personally, I don't think Veeam should bother trying to back up legacy weird and wonderful physical configurations. You're basically backing up technology which is going to fail and be replaced in the future, most probably with virtual solutions. Focusing a business on a dying platform is, uhm, being BlackBerry. If DBAs want to build enterprise systems which are going to fail, let them.

Regarding this product, I don't think Veeam are focused on backing up clustered Exchange servers! Just basically desktop PCs you see in businesses.