Veeam Endpoint Backup Free

Backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)

Veeam Logoby lp@albersdruck.de » Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:25 am

November can't come soon enough.
Before this announcement I did not know that I want something like that.

I do have some questions though:
  • will the beta test in November be a public beta test? If not, I'd like to participate :D
  • does it integrate with other Veeam products like One, B&R or Enterprise Manager?
  • will there be a Veeam Endpoint Backup "Enterprise" sometime in the future with more features (not that I am missing a feature from what I read so far)?
  • will B&R be able to interact (read/restore files) with backups created by Veeam Endpoint Backup Free?
  • why only now and not earlier? :lol:
lp@albersdruck.de
Enthusiast

Liked: 31 times
Full Name: Lars Pisanec

Re: Veeam Endpoint Backup Free

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:57 am 1 person likes this post

Hello Lars,
Thank you for your interest in Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE!

will the beta test in November be a public beta test.

That’s the plan.

does it integrate with other Veeam products like One, B&R or Enterprise Manager... will B&R be able to interact (read/restore files) with backups created by Veeam Endpoint Backup Free?

From an integration perspective, Endpoint Backup FREE can use B&R backup repository as a backup target. You will also see all incoming endpoint backup "jobs" directly in the B&R console in this case. And yes, it uses B&R backup files format, so B&R is able to interact with those as well.

will there be a Veeam Endpoint Backup "Enterprise" sometime in the future with more features (not that I am missing a feature from what I read so far)?

Endpoint Backup FREE is designed to be an easy to use desktop and laptop backup solution for IT Pros like me and you. We have no plans to extend this product into an enterprise class endpoint backup solution.

why only now and not earlier?

"Now is the right time" :wink:
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Liked: 439 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Veeam Logoby Cragdoo » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:30 am

Can Endpoint be setup to use a Veeam Cloud Connect repository ?
Cragdoo
Veeam Vanguard

Liked: 128 times
Full Name: Craig Dalrymple

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:34 pm

Yes. Endpoint Backup can use Veeam repository as a backup target, so yes then it’s possible to transfer backups into Cloud Repository, thru the main VBR server.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Veeam Backup Free (Please move the topic?)

Veeam Logoby frankive » Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:11 pm

Just one questions related to Veeam Backup Free:
The blog post says it can backup to Veeam Repository. Will this be a local repository or could it be realted to the new possibilites in V8 where you can upload to a Cloud Basesd Veeam Repository through SSL?

We have been looking for a solution for out customer for this. For larger companies we have site-2-site which will work fine with a "local" veeam repository but for standalone (laptop) we really could benefit of a gatewaybased Veeam Repository.

Just wondering :)
frankive
Service Provider

Liked: 86 times
Full Name: Frank Iversen

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:43 pm

Hello Frank,
Yes, it should apply to your scenario. Thank you for your interest in the product, to keep fingers on the pulse, please, sign in at http://go.veeam.com/endpoint for the public beta. Cheers!
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby dellock6 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:07 pm

Dima,
I think the request for "Cloud Connect support" as it's asked, means more the possibility to register a service provider directly into VEB and send backups directly over the internet to a Cloud Repository. A "backup repository" can be registered into VEB, not sure a Cloud Repository.
Luca Dell'Oca
EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
http://www.virtualtothecore.com
vExpert 2011-2012-2013-2014-2015-2016
Veeam VMCE #1
dellock6
Veeam Software

Liked: 1330 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Veeam Logoby morrie_morrie » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:01 am

Hi all,

I know it was stated again in this thread, concerning it's use for Desktops and Laptops. However in the Announcing page: http://www.veeam.com/blog/announcing-ve ... -free.html, it states Windows based machines and even goes as far as saying Windows 2008 Server and higher.

As many who use Veeam, we have Physical servers which can't be virtuallised and we are then forced to use and alternate backup program for those servers.

This looks to me like a way in which to back those servers up.
These, like the article says, are not Enterprise customers (50k+), these are Small Business customers of only a couple of servers.

Am I current right to say that Windows Servers (2008+) will be "Supported"?

Andrew Morison
Techno Group.
morrie_morrie
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: Andrew Morison

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:58 am

Hi, Andrew. Please read comments to the blog post you have referenced - I have already answered similar question there. Thanks!
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2348 times

Veeam Logoby tinto1970 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:28 am

great, i can't wait to test it! Already signed up for the public beta.
Alessandro Tinivelli aka Tinto
@tinto1970
tinto1970
Enthusiast

Liked: 25 times
Full Name: Alessandro Tinivelli

Veeam Logoby PHBG » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:34 pm

I hope that in the future Veeam will fill the vacuum in the virtual world. Now Veeam is able to backup only VMs who have snapshot capability, but this is not all vmware (maybe hyper-v) configuration. What about VMs with phsycial RDM or SCSI Bus Sharing configuration?
We have around 8 Oracle RAC Clusters, and 10 Microsoft Failover Clusters with RDM disk (on different host). These VMs are top business critical for our company and Veeam do not support them. Even not able to backup operating system.
PHBG
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: Petar Havezov

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:16 pm

Petar,

Endpoint Backup is a standalone backup tool that would allow end-users to back up and restore their desktops and laptops, so it is not considered to be an enterprise solution. Thank you for your input and interest in the product, all your comments are carefully noted and will be discussed with the team.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:02 am 1 person likes this post

PHBG wrote:What about VMs with phsycial RDM or SCSI Bus Sharing configuration?

These are legacy configurations from the past century that should not exist in modern data center going into 2015. Moreover, current hypervisors provide you with the ability to avoid the need for using such configurations. Remember that until your VM storage is virtualized, you are only half way on your virtualization journey anyway, as lack of storage virtualization breaks good half of all benefits virtualization brings.
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2348 times

[MERGED] : Veeam endpoint backup

Veeam Logoby luckyinfil » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:49 pm

I just recently read about the release of Veeam endpoint backup which allows for backing up physical "workstations", which to me signifies a significant change in the mindset that "all servers will eventually become virtual one day". Are there any plans to turn this into an agent which would then integrate with Veeam B&R for those customers that want to backup physical servers? I think that most people using Veeam today are stuck using another solution to backup their physical servers so it would be a huge lifechanger if Veeam was then able to backup physical servers as well. This would allow a companies to use a single backup solution across the board and potentially reduce their costs (even if they had to pay extra for backing up physicals).
luckyinfil
Enthusiast

Liked: 10 times

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:04 pm 1 person likes this post

luckyinfil,
Mind me quoting recent press release a little bit, to answer your question:

"With Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE, IT professionals now have a simple solution for backing up endpoints, which has long been a major data protection headache,” said Ratmir Timashev, CEO of Veeam. “Veeam believes that modern data centers should be fully virtualized, but we also recognize that unlike servers, endpoints will always remain physical, and they need to be backed up as well."
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Next

Return to Veeam Agent for Windows