Real-time performance monitoring and troubleshooting
JasonJoel
Enthusiast
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Jason Bottjen

Alarm report shows errors, vCenter does not

Post by JasonJoel » 1 person likes this post

I am using the trial of Veeam ONE v6 to evaluate it.

I notice that running the "VMware Alarms Overview" report, it shows a few VMs that have errors. However, if I go look at the same VM in vCenter is doesn't show any errors, and I don't see any in the event log.

Any thoughts on what may be going on?

Jason
Vitaly.Mzokov
Expert
Liked: 25 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Mzokov

Re: Alarm report shows errors, vCenter does not

Post by Vitaly.Mzokov »

Jason,

Well, that's weird. Do you see any errors for these VMs in Veeam ONE Monitor client? What errors?

- VM.
JasonJoel
Enthusiast
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Jason Bottjen

Post by JasonJoel »

Ok, I think I figured it out. Being new to the product, I was having trouble figuring out how to drill down and see what the actual alert was. Finally figured it out (not super intuitive...).

They were high CPU usage alerts that came and went. A couple had already rolled off the back of the vCenter event log. Found one that was still in the log, though, and matched up.

So it is likely working correctly.
Vitaly.Mzokov
Expert
Liked: 25 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Mzokov

Post by Vitaly.Mzokov »

Jason,

Glad to know you've narrowed it down. By the way, should any help be required, do not hesitate contacting our support team.

Thanks,
VM.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. » 1 person likes this post

JasonJoel wrote:I notice that running the "VMware Alarms Overview" report, it shows a few VMs that have errors. However, if I go look at the same VM in vCenter is doesn't show any errors, and I don't see any in the event log.
As opposed to other competitive monitoring solutions our alarms do not just repeat vCenter Server alarms, we are sharing our own knowledge and expertise with 200+ of predefined alarms on Veeam ONE.

If you want to check what alarms have been triggered in your VI, you need to navigate to our alarms tab in Veeam ONE Monitor. This is the place where our Alarms report takes all the alarms from. Hope this helps!
albertwt
Veeam Legend
Liked: 46 times

Post by albertwt »

Vitaliy S. wrote: As opposed to other competitive monitoring solutions our alarms do not just repeat vCenter Server alarms, we are sharing our own knowledge and expertise with 200+ of predefined alarms on Veeam ONE.

If you want to check what alarms have been triggered in your VI, you need to navigate to our alarms tab in Veeam ONE Monitor. This is the place where our Alarms report takes all the alarms from. Hope this helps!
Hi Vitaliy,

Which alarm that we can use in VeeamONE and which one that we must always use on VCenter ?
I'm still confused as to which one to keep and which once to turn off safely.

Thanks.
--
/* Veeam software enthusiast user & supporter ! */
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. » 1 person likes this post

vCenter Server does not provide lots of alarms (since it is more a management tool rather than a monitoring one). All critical aspects of monitoring virtual infrastructure is covered by Veeam ONE, so I would rely on this solution to monitor your virtual and backup infrastructures. Please be ware that in Veeam ONE you can also create any alarm you want to keep an eye on specifically. Hope this helps!
albertwt
Veeam Legend
Liked: 46 times

Post by albertwt »

Vitaliy S. wrote:vCenter Server does not provide lots of alarms (since it is more a management tool rather than a monitoring one). All critical aspects of monitoring virtual infrastructure is covered by Veeam ONE, so I would rely on this solution to monitor your virtual and backup infrastructures. Please be ware that in Veeam ONE you can also create any alarm you want to keep an eye on specifically. Hope this helps!
Cool, many thanks for the clarification Vitaly.
--
/* Veeam software enthusiast user & supporter ! */