Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mange8006
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Magnus Norling

Storage configuration

Post by mange8006 »

Hi

I have just connected my backup server to my storage solution over fibrechannel with RW access to all LUN´s and backup´s works really great! However i´m a little bit concerned because all VMFS is of coarse visible in Windows Server disk management, all the LUN´s is visible as "Unknown" and "Offline" and the diskspace is Unallocated... And can probably be formated if someone makes a big mistake.

My question is: What is best practices when is comes to storage configuration on the backup server, should i just leave it as it is or can it be protected in some way?

regards
Magnus
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6692 times

Re: Storage configuration

Post by Gostev »

Magnus, I suggest you mount VMFS LUN to Veeam Backup server with read-only access, as Veeam Backup does not really need write access to VMFS LUN. This will make formatting and all other "screw ups" simply impossible.

Also, in case you have not done so, you should also disable automount on your Veeam Backup server.

Thanks!
mange8006
Novice

Post by mange8006 »

I been thinking about that, but what about restore, does that not require RW rights on the LUN´s ?

/Magnus
vbussiro
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times

Post by vbussiro »

Veeam only restore using network mode, so restores get trough ESX, not directly to the Luns. That's why it doesn't need write access.
mange8006
Novice

Post by mange8006 »

Thanks alot guys, my problem is solved.

regards
Magnus