Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
unrealism
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Don N

Vista Supported in v3.1??

Post by unrealism »

I have Veeam v3.1. All of my VM's backup (Windows XP, and Windows Server 2008 Standard), but when I go to backup 3 of my Vista Business VM's I get warnings and failures. Any ideas?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Vista Supported in v3.1??

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Don,

What kind of errors and warnings do you currently see while processing your Vista VMs? Vista VMs are fully supported in 3.1 version, also please consider upgrading to the most recent version (4.1.1) and then re-run your jobs. If you continue getting errors please contact our support team for assistance.

Thank you!
unrealism
Novice

Post by unrealism »

Sorry, I meant to post my error... here is a screenshot. Is the 4.1.1 a free upgrade?

http://www.johnsdental.com/DNN/error1.png
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Upgrade may or may not be free depending on your situation. Please review the stickied FAQ thread for more information about this.
unrealism
Novice

Post by unrealism »

Well the trial of 4.1.1 does not allow me to backup my VMs because it does not support ESXi free. So... what am I to do? Is this a valid error for ver 3.1 or is it because it did not support Vista at that time? I would think not considering it backs up XP, 2000, and 2008 server. Since 2008 server is essentially the Vista environment! But who knows... I find it hard to believe since it fails on even a fresh VM install of Vista. I manage to back up all my other VM's just fine! I am new to VM's and Veeam, it would be nice for a little better support on this matter. I can't justify my boss spending the money to upgrade if I don't have a valid reason. If it is a version thing, then that is a valid reason.

Thanks,

Don
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Don, please disable Veeam VSS in the job settings (see Backup Consistency step), this should help to fix your issue.
unrealism
Novice

Post by unrealism »

That made it work wonderful!! Thank you a bunch. I am not sure why it works with the others but not those Vista machines. But it works, so I am not complaining. =)
unrealism
Novice

Post by unrealism »

Still getting this one error with 1 Vista Box... disabled VSS and still not backing up this one. The other 2 Vista's are fine. Here is my error log... :?

http://www.johnsdental.com/DNN/veeamlog.html
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

This is completely different error though, unrelated to Vista or VSS. Please contact our support directly for assistance, as it is hard to say anything without full log files.
unrealism
Novice

Post by unrealism »

I fixed it, I guess I accidentally told one of the VM hard disks to be "Independent" and it didn't like that. Everything is great now. All backups are functional.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Great, thanks for the update!