Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
myrdin
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: NIck

Veeam upgraded from v7 to v8

Post by myrdin »

Hi folks,

i have just upgraded one v7 (all patches) to v8 and so far:

- the actual upgrade when very smoothly, no errors and very quick. All settings moved and eveything seems basically identical to V8

BUT

- a job that used to take 15 minutes to finish now it takes...more than 1 hour!.

I have to say i didnt recreate a full but i just kept going with incrementals i had on v7. I will recreate a full and then i will see.

thoughts?
myrdin
Enthusiast

Re: Veeam upgraded from v7 to v8

Post by myrdin »

UPDATE:

Running a full took half the time (??) and i achieved an impressive 18.1X Dedup (???).

The subsequent increment of that full took WAYYYY LESSS after a full.

So guys: if your incrementals are taking forever after upgrading to v8 to an existing job, do a full backup, i guess v8 wants its own vbk format...
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Nick, it's hard to guess what could cause this behavior without seeing even the job reports and ability to compare them with those of the previous job runs. But it is definitely not a VBK format change. Haven't you enabled encryption for this job by any chance? Btw, are you on vSphere or Hyper-V?
myrdin
Enthusiast

Post by myrdin »

thanks Foggy, no encryption. I am on Vsphere (4.1 thou).

After that it worked very well.

Further testing showed that only one job was affected. Other jobs that ran last night ran without problems, without the need to recreate a full.

The only difference is that the job i had problems with runs every 30 minutes and backups 4 small drives (about 30GB each) and has a LOT of restore points retention is set to 600).

just FYI if this can help
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2257 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

As Alexander's mentioned, nothing has been changed in .vbk file format. It looks like sporadic issue to me. In case the problem happens again, feel free to open a ticket with our support team. Thanks.