Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Data Platform
northrundicandus
Service Provider
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Joe Ross

Veeam ONE upgrade from 7 to 8

Post by northrundicandus »

Case #00676148

Anyone else have trouble upgrading from Veeam ONE from 7 to 8? I was stuck for an hour and fifteen minutes at "Installing Veeam ONE Monitor Server..."

The tech assigned to the case suggested I reboot and try again, and if that doesn't work then do a clean install.

A reboot and upgrade again led to an inconsistent configuration error, and it's telling me to uninstall all Veeam ONE components and try again. I'm reverting back to my snapshots of the Veeam ONE and SQL servers to recover.

I have a lot of custom alerts configured. Is there a way to preserve those if I have to do a clean install?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Veeam ONE upgrade from 7 to 8

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Joe,

In order to preserve all custom alarms, please use alarms export functionality if you can still access it via Veeam ONE Monitor Client. I will ask our dev team to take a look a the debug logs you've shared with our support team.

Thanks!
northrundicandus
Service Provider

The install logs look pretty plain - no obvious errors. I just end up being stuck at "Beginning a Windows Installer transaction: F:\\Monitor\veeam_monitor_srv_x64.msi."

Looking at the SQL server though, I see the Veeam ONE service account connected to the database running a CREATE INDEX cmd on the Veeam ONE database. Is the installer triggering a reindex of everything? It's an 85 GB database.
northrundicandus
Service Provider

I poked around and found the query that is currently running:

Here’s the exact query that is running:

IF NOT EXISTS (SELECT * FROM sys.indexes WHERE object_id = OBJECT_ID(N'[monitor].[PerfSampleLow]') AND name = N'IX_PerfSampleLow')
CREATE NONCLUSTERED INDEX [IX_PerfSampleLow] ON [monitor].[PerfSampleLow]
(
[instance_id] ASC,
[counter_id] ASC,
[timestamp] DESC
)
INCLUDE ( [interval],
[value]) WITH (STATISTICS_NORECOMPUTE = OFF, SORT_IN_TEMPDB = OFF, IGNORE_DUP_KEY = OFF, DROP_EXISTING = OFF, ONLINE = OFF) ON [PRIMARY]

This is coming from the Windows Installer application running from the Veeam ONE server.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Joe,

I have just discussed this with our dev team lead and we do trigger a procedure that rebuilds indexes in our database. These indexes boost the report generation performance, as well as other database queries. If database is large enough, this process can indeed take some time.

What I suggest you to do here is to check whether the process is still running or not. By now, it should have finished the required maintenance preparations required by the setup and you should be able to proceed with the upgrade.

P.S. for other users, we will create a KB article, that would show how to rebuild indexes prior the upgrade, so that this process does not take much time.

Thanks!
northrundicandus
Service Provider

It did finally clear up - it took about two hours to run! A friendly KB article would definitely help other users I think.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

northrundicandus
Service Provider

Post by northrundicandus » 1 person likes this post